Character Cakes

Decorating By tiredmomx4 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm by skaggs1

tiredmomx4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiredmomx4 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 6

tell me how you do them, decorate them. Do you star tip them all then outline. I have to do a diago and lightening mcqueen. Also, how do you outline the edges that are on the cake, the little details. And how about the smooth parts like the eyes, how do you do them.
thanks

5 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 6

If you go to www.wilton.com, they have a list of character pans & instructions on how to do it, how much icing, what tips & colours to use and the order in which to it in.

hth

icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 6

Simple - I HATE them so I DON'T do them. icon_lol.gif

Seriously though...I have done them before. I make the outline first with tip#3. Do the smooth areas first, then go back in and fill in with the star tip. I use the melvira method to smooth out any areas that were to be flat. You can go over the outlines again at the end if they aren't showing enough anymore.

I think it is easier to do a pattern transfer (I use the piping gel method) on a sheet cake than to do the character cake pans. Then you don't have all those pans collecting either.

Larrimore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larrimore Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 6

tiredmomx4, look at this thread: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626276.html it has some very good tips on it

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 6

I just did a Lightning McQueen cake last weekend using the Wilton Lightning McQueen cake pan. First you outline then star tip. All the instructions come with the cake on which tips and colors to use. On the small areas like the mouth, eyes and lights I used a toothpick to spread out the color and then dipped my finger in cornstarch and smoothed it out. Hope this helps you. Good Luck.

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 6

I have done both (in my pics) but I have to agree with some of the other posts, it is much easier doing a transfer. Chac. cakes seem like they take forever to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%