Cake Flour?

Decorating By FarrahFace Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm by CakesByLJ

FarrahFace Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make the german chocolate cake that I found here. This one is made from scratch and I use box mixes. So can anyone tell me what exactly is cake flour and where to find it. Looked at the local grocery store and saw nothing that said cake flour on it.. Also, What are german chocolate squares? A lady asked me to do an authentic german chocolate cake for her. Is the recipe for GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE III authentic enough? Thanks in advance.. LaDonna

6 replies
Ironbaker Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 7

Here's some info:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/FlourTypes.htm

Probably the most popular cake flours at the grocery store are Swans Down and Softasilk. I usually can only find Swans Down, it's usually in the baking aisle near the other flours. There are others you can order online.

PinkZiab Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 7

You can find German chocolate (usually Baker's brand "German's Sweet Chocolate Bar) in the baking aisle with the other unsweetened chocolates, cocoas, etc. Just an FYI, German chocolate (and in turn, the cake) is NOT German... it's named after the man (Samuel German) who invented this type of chocolate (it's a baking chocolate with a higher sugar content). It's actually called German's chocolate, but it got misconstrued to German chocolate and it kind of stuck.

FarrahFace Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 7

Oh thank you so much... Ironbaker, If I can't find the cake flour before tomorrow can I use regular flour?
PinkZiab, that is good to know.. I was really clueless on this topic.. I hope I can find these items..
I am off to the grocery store AGAIN.. lol
Thanks again
LaDonna

Ironbaker Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 7

You can use regular flour, you would just need to take a bit out.

1 cup of all purpose flour = 1c + 2T of cake flour.

Pinkziab, thanks for that tidbit, I had no idea. Never used german chocolate.

FarrahFace Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

Ironbaker, That's great to know.. I will do that until I can order some.. Looked online and none of the local stores carry any brand of cake flour.. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

You can find German chocolate (usually Baker's brand "German's Sweet Chocolate Bar) in the baking aisle with the other unsweetened chocolates, cocoas, etc. Just an FYI, German chocolate (and in turn, the cake) is NOT German... it's named after the man (Samuel German) who invented this type of chocolate (it's a baking chocolate with a higher sugar content). It's actually called German's chocolate, but it got misconstrued to German chocolate and it kind of stuck.

just to add to PinkZiab's post... that chocolate is excellant to use in the cake, and the recipe included with it makes a beautiful cake as well. Ironic.. I am making that cake today.. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%