For Those Of You Who Rent---What About Small Orders???

Business By lhayes1976 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm by CakeForte

lhayes1976 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:56am
post #1 of 7

I may have found a site to rent at an hourly rate. Since we are a small operation we have some weeks where we might only have one or two orders. I can't see renting a kitchen for maybe just an hour. Do any of you go ahead make some things at home. I just can't see dragging all my stuff for one cookie bouqet and a dozen cupcakes. Usually it seems about two weeks out of the month we're swamped with orders.

I hope this doesn't start up the feud between legal and illegal beagles! Like I stated earlier, I am in the process of getting my basement kitchen legalized so hopefully I will only have to do this a few times.

6 replies
muddpuppy Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 7

I know how you feel. I rent a kitchen at a ridiculous hourly rate. I'm always tempted to just work from home. It's frustrating. But I ask myself why did I go through the process of finding a kitchen and getting legal if I'm going to bake from home illegally?.. I hate it... But I'll be honest... I do my gumpaste work from home... I know! It's bad, but I justify it by saying no one is going to eat it.. lol..

cylstrial Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 7

I just wish there were kitchens around here to rent!

cakesdivine Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 7

I rent a commercial kitchen. I currently only do small orders if I also have a wedding on that same week, If a customer calls and wants a little cake and I don't have another cake that week, I tell them I am booked...LOL! I have to, I don't want to hurt getting their future business and I certainly would lose money if I tried to do it. I have at times baked a few extra 8" rounds and 1/4 sheets in Van & Choc if there is room in the oven for that time frame to keep on hand. That has saved me an order a few times, but if I don't get an order for it within the time I am willing to keep a cake frozen, then my family gets a treat icon_smile.gif

fabulosity Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 7

I have never thought about that. That seems like a great way to get into selling cakes legally if you don't have all the $ to open a place. If you don't mind me asking what are the going rates for that kind of thing? I am in KY.

mcalhoun Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 7

Have you read Paula Deans book about her life? Just wondering - I agree I don't want to start a huge deal but she used her comercial kitchen in "name only" because her home kitchen was much cleaner. Not sure what the difference would be in this situation not saying that your rented kitchen is dirty but just not cost efficient.

CakeForte Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 7

I have a large minimum order to try and push the orders away. It has worked so far...I don't like doing it, but its not cost effective either, in money nor time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%