Covering A Cake Board With Material

Decorating By kristenb1 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm by Rhonda19

kristenb1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristenb1 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:37am
post #1 of 9

Hello, need some help urgently!! I have a 4 tier wedding cake to do, and i have bought 3 cake boards ranging from 14-16inches to use as a stand as the girl im doing the wedding cake for doesnt want a metal cake stand, i am trying to think of how to cover them as she doesnt want them iced, her colour is purple and i wasthinking about coveing them with purple crepe paper but dont know the best way to do this, or does anyone have any better ideas!? thanks a million!! kristen

8 replies
skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:53am
post #2 of 9

Good morning,

Is there a cake shop near you? If so check and see if they sell "Florists Foil". I know it comes in purple. You can also buy it online. I know for sure they have it at Sugarcraft.com, but it sounds like you don't have time to actually order anything online.

Good luck.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:14am
post #3 of 9

The color will run like crazy on the crepe paper/ tissue paper would as well- have you ever gotten a spot of water on it? I've read some threads where people used gift wrapping paper and another thread which said you could use anything as long as it was food safe or covered with clear contact paper. How about covering them with fondant that looks pretty...there is a picture tutorial on the wilton website for how to.
When I read the title of your post and it said material, I thought you were asking about fabric? Which I think would be doable as long as you wash it first, make sure to iron it and then I would attach with a glue gun, make sure to snip the curves. I hate a messy board.

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:14am
post #4 of 9

Hi,

I've seen that some people here uses any paper and they cover it with contact paper or press n'seal (that is food safe). If you use contact paper make sure you use a carboard under your cake to avoid contact with it because it is not food safe.
HTH

tvtorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tvtorp Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:22am
post #5 of 9

Most cake supply locations have 'food safe' foil and it's very inexpensive. It will take some time to cover the board. I lay the board on top of the foil, then cut the foil about three inches away from the edge of the board. Cut the foil all around, about two inches apart on a slight diagonal. Once that is done you fold it over a section at a time and tape it to the back of your board. I always attach a contrasting ribbon to the edge of the board, either with a glue gun, or just pin it. Be sure to do that before you attach the cake to the board! Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

kristenb1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristenb1 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all your help guys!!! thats fantastic help!! il have a go anyway!! icon_smile.gif x

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 9

I've used both fabric and wrapping paper with clear contact paper over it for sheet cakes. Both worked and looked great.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 9

Like CarolAnn, I have used both wrapping paper and material to cover my cake boards. I cover them again with clear cellophane to avoid grease spots.

You can buy food-grade cellophane (it is printed on the label) by the roll at hobby and craft stores. I buy mine at Hobby Lobby, it is in the gift wrap section.

One trick I have learned is to use a new wooden cutting board (the kind with a groove for juices) to use as a cake board. When covering the board make sure the groove side will be on the bottom.

If I use fabric I attach it with a hot glue gun and push the excess fabric into the groove for a more level surface. Then I cover with cellophane. Both fabric and cellophane are removed easily.

This makes a very sturdy cake board, but the drawback is that it adds a lot of extra weight to your cake.

HTH
Kim

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 9

I'm glad this thread came up..... I have a problem with covering my boards too.

I was wondering.... can I use a white wrapping paper to cover the entire board, and then put wax paper or something along those lines, on top?

Will just a regular cake board hold a 2 layer 12 x 18 sheet cake?? It should, shouldn't it??

Thanks
Rhonda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%