How To Get This Colour....

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 5:26am by aprilbree

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:59am
post #1 of 26

Hey guys, so i have seen this colour or similar around on cakes on here and that is the colour i have wanted to use for ages but not sure of how to get it or again something similar, can anyone help me? Is it a mixture of colours or is it just like a certain wilton colour paste? I posted example below, Thanks heaps!
LL

25 replies
lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:15am
post #2 of 26

Hi there...I just made a cake with a similar colour - it's my current avatar. The green for the bow is basically this colour although is looks lighter in the pic.

Here is a close up - http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1345718

I mixed the colour myself using my Wilton pastes - 2 dabs of leaf green, 1 dab of yellow, a touch of brown and a dab of black. Those are the basic elements of the colour. You can play around with more or less of each to get the exact tone you want.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:40am
post #4 of 26

Vlin: yeh i would probably want it tiny bit lighter its just looks darker than i thought it would come up on the screen lol Thank you so much for your help, it is a beautiful colour isn't it! oh and btw your cake is very pretty icon_smile.gif

Paula: Yes i always had thought it was the moss green wilton paste once i had seen the sample on the internet but when i went to the shop, the sticker on it looked so much different to what i have seen on the internet and now i am not sure how trustworthy either colour example (internet or sticker) is, sometimes guess you can't know until you just actually use the colour lol

Anyone tried wilton moss green before?

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:03am
post #5 of 26

Avocado Green by Americolor

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:52am
post #6 of 26

I read somewhere - can't remember where - that the sticker on the Wilton jar is pretty much the darkest variation that you can get of that colour, so if you wanted a lighter shade in it, then that colour would be fine - just slowly add the colour until you get the one you want.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:08am
post #7 of 26

The color on the wilton jar is never exactly right... Moss green will give you very close to that or like the poster above said, avocado green by Americolor will get you close too. icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:39am
post #8 of 26

Yeh i have never expected the colours on the jars to be EXACTLY right. I havn't tried americolour before cose don't usually see it at my stores i go to.

But yeh in reguards to wilton i am pretty sure it was moss green i picked up but the sticker for it just really didn't look anything like the internet colour, and didn't look like the colour i wanted so i got bit confused there lol

Maybe i'll go back and have another look and re check or maybe it is just if you use heaps of it, it does seem like a bit of a different colour cose its so dark and if i did end up using less then it would give me the colour i want.

Well if you guys think moss green would get close maybe i should just ignore the sticker and buy it and try it and maybe it will work out and if not, i'll try mixing the different colours to get it icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the help everyone! thumbs_up.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:01am
post #9 of 26

The moss green (wilton) would get you the color you want. Just like someone else said start out slow and bring it up to the shade you want. I have used moss green before and it should get you to that shade green or very close to it. HTH

Debbie

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:08am
post #10 of 26

Wilton's Moss Green has a slightly blue undertone. If it were me, I'd use the color formula vlin28 posted. The blue can be difficult to overcome-especially without your color becoming muddy or dull. I hope that makes sense icon_rolleyes.gif .
At any rate, good luck, happy baking and be sure to post your pic thumbs_up.gif .

amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:10am
post #11 of 26

Hi there, I use this color all the time and you can use the Americolor Avacado and this is the color it becomes. I have used it in some of my photos if you want to look. The more you use the deeper it gets. Hope this helps.
amycake

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:26am
post #12 of 26

i use that color all the time for my leaves. and yes it is the moss green. like someone else said just add a little at a time till you get it the color you want. Tami

Elise87 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:00pm
post #13 of 26

Ok so i think i have it......I will first go with my original thought and buy the wilton moss green like some of you have said, if that doesn't work i will then go and try and find americolour which looks pretty good and if i can't find that or it doesn't work then i will try vlin's colour formula, which i hope i can get right, knowing me it will prob take me a while for me to get it right.....Oh dear lol

Will definitely post pics when i use this colour in the future icon_smile.gif

Thanks again everyone thumbs_up.gif

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre

Avocado Green by Americolor

that's the first thing I thought of too!

maybe with a teeny tiny drop of yellow (VERY TEENY)

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #15 of 26

Good luck Elise87 and do post pics!

Elise87 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #16 of 26

wow talk about breathing life into an OLD post!.....more like my first ever post lol

Anyway i just finished a cake that i FINALLY used the moss green colour on icon_biggrin.gif Well as i was making it i remembered about this post and how i was asked to show pics........well i figure it's better late than never right lol

I bought the wilton moss green and even if it's not exact to the tee like the colour i posted above, i really like how the colour came out

Anyway here is the cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1468564

Hope everyone is doing well icon_smile.gif

mwest110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mwest110 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:26am
post #17 of 26

I love how it turned out. Great job!

Elise87 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #18 of 26

thanks mwest110! I think your little black high heel cakes are very cute!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:26am
post #19 of 26

Avocado Green by americolor! The only green I love! Makes the flowers look realistic! That is DEFINITELY the color!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:34am
post #20 of 26

Your cake turned out great! The color was gorgeous!!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:04am
post #21 of 26

When I saw the color in your example (your opening post), my 1st thought Wilton's Juniper Green. I did some bows and ribbon on a wedding in it. You can darken it as you like.

But, I am a little late with that reply icon_lol.gif You have already done your cake.
I think the color looks great and is like the color you were looking for. Your cake turn out wonderful, it and the trinket box are very beautiful!

God Bless,
Sharon

EDITED To Say: Well on second thought (after looking at the wedding cake) maybe Juniper Green might not have worked, not sure.
Edited a second time for words being left out or misspelled...boy tonight is not my night icon_lol.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #22 of 26

Looks avacado to me also.

Elise87 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:00am
post #23 of 26

thanks u guys!

I love that green colour or anything similar, i like the wilton green but maybe i could try the Americolor some time also to see if it's better

And good if that americolor one is good for leaves and all that. I went to my cake decorating store ages ago and i looked at the leaf green from wilton and i said to the guy 'so this is the right colour for leaves if you want to make gumpaste ones?' and he was like 'yep!' so i took his word for it, got home, tried it, and it was like a bright nearly fluro green and i am like 'that's not the colour of any leaves i have seen!' lol

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:12am
post #24 of 26

icon_lol.gif I agree with you Elise87 on Wilton's leaf green, I don't think it is a very pretty green at all. Well not for leaves, but I do like their Juniper Green. I have the Americolor Mint Green and it is a pretty color also.

I hope to get to try more of the Americolor colors someday. Again your cake and the colors look great!

God Bless,
Sharon

Elise87 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:19am
post #25 of 26

thanks icon_smile.gif

I was just holding my cake up to the sample colour i posted before lol and in real life it is pretty darn close, the photo i have at the moment of my cake portays it as a slightly different colour, it is actually more pastel

aprilbree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilbree Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:26am
post #26 of 26

yeah, i know this is late too, but i JUST used avacado this weekend. the whole base color was that. so, i vote avacado as well. icon_smile.gif when i added the color, it came out lighter than i thought, but it darkened when it dried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%