I'm New At This...

Decorating By beautiful_pixie Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm by kayla1505

beautiful_pixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beautiful_pixie Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:58am
post #1 of 13

I have what may seem as a dumb question...

What kinds of fondant are edible and taste good?
I am planning on making a cake for my daughter's 2nd birthday with the Elmo theme.
I have never used or made fondant before. I have browsed the recipes and I am very confused.

Is there anyway that I can make the Wilton fondant bought at Michaels taste good? I've seen postings that it tastes terrible.

Can someone help me? Thanks

12 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:27am
post #2 of 13

Hi, I have done a cake in fondant and I have been using Marshmallow fondant which actually tastes pretty good.

I make it myself and it is really easy to make, well atleast the recipe i use which is basically melted marshmallows and icing sugar. Yes it is sweet but it's still good and prob way better than normal fondant which i had heard tastes bad too that why i havn't bothered to use them, except i have heard about satin ice fondant but have never tried it, but think i heard it tastes good too.

So yes if u want my really basic MMF recipe i can pass it onto you but if u want to test it, what u can do is melt a couple of marshmallows and mix in some icing sugar until it is a dough and have a sample that way you will know if u like it and if not, you didn't waste a whole batch! Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:51am
post #3 of 13

If you want to buy your fondant then Satin Ice tastes good also Choco-pan.
I started making my own and love it! Except chocolate that I still buy.. lol... I melt a bag of mini marshmellows with 2 T of water then when they are melted, remove from heat, add 2 tsp of lemon juice and Karo syrup and 2 tsp vanila or your choice of flavoring. I then mix it in my KA with 3/4 bag of a 2lb bag of powdered sugar. Grease your mixing bowl,paddle and spoon prior. When it wont mix anymore put it on a well greased surface and knead like bread adding the last of the bag of PS. Keep your hands greased and continue to knead until incorporated. IF you see it starting to shred or rip just put some Crisco on it and rub in in. Then wrap it in sarandwrap for a night and your good to go. I pop mine in the micro for 10 sec before i use it to soften it up. Then you can color and roll as needed. This is a recipe from this site but I can't remember whose MMF recipe it is! but I hope it helps you!
Good Luck,
Kim

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:11am
post #4 of 13

Just found another forum thing you might want to have a look at:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/forum-satin-ice-fondant-vs-wilton-ftopict-54713.html

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 13

If I make MMF, I use Rhonda's MMF recipe. I have been wanting to try Michelle Foster's updated fondant recipe. I love Satin Ice. It has a vanilla flavor and is very nice. Blakescakes taught me to mix 2/3 Satin Ice with 1/3 Wilton to get it hold up a little bit better. That's the only doctoring that I can suggest for the Wilton fondant. Hope this helps!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 13

You can also add flavour to the Wilton fondant. I tend to use the candy flavours as they are oil based.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 13

I've never eaten Wilton fondant without gagging. I've never tried adding flavoring to it, but I feel like that's just spraying perfume on dog poop if you know what I mean.

Michele Foster's fondant is easy to make, the consistency is always the same (sometimes I have problems in this area when making MMF) and it's delicious!

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 13

My vote is for Satin Ice. It tastes the best thumbs_up.gif

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 13

Wilton's fondant is yucky! Good for modelling or doing non-edible things.

MMF is yummy if you like the taste of marshmellows. Michelle Foster's is good & is easy.

I find some fondant can taste like the center of an oreo cookie.

I haven't tried Satin Ice or Chocopan. Don't know where to buy it in Canada.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 13

There is no way that I have found to make Wilton's taste good. Keep it for small decorations. I make my own MMF, and it is soooo easy, and since I love marshmallows, very tasty!! The recipe I use is very simple, only 2 ingredients, let me know if you're interested. Good luck with Elmo!!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 13

The MMF tastes good. My co workers said it tasted like candy corn

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #12 of 13

As far as I know, all fondant is edible. I have used both MMF and wilton fondant. Nobody but my husband (who eats anything and everything) liked the wilton fondant, but everything thinks the MMF tastes good, although some have said it's too sweet. I have a major sweet tooth, so I love it. Wilton's is easy because all you have to do is buy it. Doesn't taste great but you can add flavoring to it. MMF is pretty easy, just mixing/kneading 3 ingredients, and is also cheaper. Satin Ice is supposed to taste good, but I think it's only sold online and it's pretty expensive. Lots of choices, but it all depends on what you want. Good luck!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 13

Michele foster fondant is taste really good and really easy to make, i like it better than mmf

heres the recipe

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%