Business By FaithsPlace Updated 10 May 2010 , 7:32pm by mamaof3

FaithsPlace Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:05am
post #1 of 15

Hi, I was wondering if there are any fellow Illinois cc members out there?? I am in the process of opening a bakery here....a very sloooow process that is, lol. I am seeking some advice, support, etc and offering the same....Please feel free to email me here or respond to my post.

Hope to hear from you all soon!!

Faith icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
Mindy1975 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 15

Hi there! I live close to Springfield, and am just on the tail end of opening my bakery. It IS a very long process. I took my servsafe exam back on the 26th, and passed, and have everything else ready to go. Now I'm just waiting to get my certificate from them in the mail so that I can get the health inspector back out here to certify my kitchen! Then I'm good to go! I didnt' realize all the other stuff you have to do , but I'm glad I went through it all to get legal. It just "feels" better when you don't have to hide under the radar and worry about being turned in to the H.D.! And I'm getting excited to reach out to the communities and finally be able to put some pictures up and advertise without getting in trouble! lol And Illinois can be a real pain in the butt about even helping you with questions or even giving you any direction at all. I don't know what part of the state you are located, but around here, there are not very many certified bakeries that do cakes at all. I know of a few ladies in several other small towns that do them under the radar, and there is one or two actual cake bakeries in Springfield, plus the grocery stores. But even still, you could have one in every town probably, and there would still be plenty of work for everyone in my opinion! Good luck to you! icon_smile.gif

CHoxie Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 15

Hello there

I live up North and West. I just make cakes for family and friends, but have often thought of opening a cake shop. There was a post on here earlier about a place in New York that caught my eye. It was a place that offered a kitchen and a cubicle to persons interested in their own cake business, and had no shop of their own.

Currently I am looking for that type of place. With the "Other Kitchen" law in this state, I do not want to create another kitchen in my house just to make cake.

I am not sure where you live, but if you know of anyplace like that, let me know. Who knows, maybe I will just open one up myself.

nikki125 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 15

Hi there nice to see some fellow Illinosians. Right now I just am getting started so I can make my kids birthday cakes with 6 kids I thought I better learn. Maybe down the road I will actually go into a business. It helps that my mother already has a 2nd separate kitchen at her house(long story). By the way I am in a small town about midway between Elgin and Rockford.

FaithsPlace Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 15

Hi ladies, its so nice to talk to others that are from my state...It seems really hard to find information on the "how to's" for our state. Do any of you know if I would contact the health department if they would send me a list of regulations....just not sure how any of this works, lol....I know how to make the cake and now I really just want to be able to sell it without worrying.

Pricing is also difficult to me because I live in a small town (in between Pekin and Peoria) but, I want to reach out to the larger towns...that makes it difficult to me. Any suggestions???

Hope to talk to you all soon! Good luck to you all !!

Mindy1975 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 15

Mindy1975 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 15

Whoops, that was not all I wanted to post! lol anyway, yes, call your county health dept. for smaller towns. They should come out to your place and look at what you want to do, or whatever you have set up already, just to give you a chance to change what you need to etc. Then you must take your food handler's course, either at a local college, or health dept. offers it sometimes. You also must register your "business name" with the Illinois Business Association. You have to charge sales tax on your goodies. After you do those two things, you must have those two pieces of paper. the cert. from food course, and the paper that registers your business, then you call H.I. back out and he will inspect your kitchen, and give you your permit. THen you are good to go. I know it sounds like a lot, but it's really not that painful. I never ever thought I would be able to do this. We have always rented our house and just finally bought one in November. That's another thing, in order for you to do the separate kitchen at your home, you have to own it, not rent it. And there has to be a separate entrance to the outside so people don't come through your house to pick up your cakes. And don't even think about serving even a cup a coffee or a place to sit, because if you do, then they consider it not just a kitchen anymore, and then you will have to provide a public restroom! you will find out a lot of things at the food handler's course! I'll write more later!

khiggins Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:05am
post #8 of 15

I also live in Illinois. I am located near Martinsville, just off Interstate 70. I just purchased a building to be placed on my property to enable me to have a seperate commercial kitchen. We are in the early stages of health department approval and utility hookups. I have done cakes for friends and family for about six years and finally took the plunge to do it as a business. In Clark county where I reside, you must have a seperate kitchen. To the north of me in Coles county (about 25 miles away) bakers are allowed to get their inhome kitchens licensed. So it does vary county to county.

sjholderman Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:47am
post #9 of 15

Hey all, I'm in Southern(ish) IL along I 64 by Fairview Heights, Ofallon, St louis, that area. I'm looking into renting a kitchen so I can do my thing fearlessly & advertise, and I agree, its next to impossible to find info for our dear state!

KimmieJ Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 15

Hi all! I'm up in Northern Illinois, close enough to Wisconsin that I could spit on it yet only 50 miles out of Chicago. Right now I've only been making cakes for family/friends and at no charge. I'm definitely looking into what needs to happen for me to actually startup a small business. I'm glad to see others out there just like me in Illinois!

Lcubed82 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:06am
post #11 of 15

Hobby baker in Glen Carbon, near ST. Louis. I enjoy doing cookies and cakes. I have done a couple of cakes as gifts, but not for hire.

rocketmom1985 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:51am
post #12 of 15

Mindy1975, my mom lives in Rochester and I will be passing thru Springfield sometime next month...

Have you opened your shop yet? I would love to see it if you have.

Mindy1975 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #13 of 15

Not to discourage you, but there really isn't that much to see! lol It's just a room on the back of my house that is a kitchen. It's not an actual bakery/retail shop to the public, etc. In fact, it's so small, I had to put my table on a carriage so I can roll it around when I want to open my fridge! lol I did the bare minimal to be legal, with the thought that if my business takes off, then I will grow as my business grows.

mamabaer Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 15

I live in Wheaton, IL and am trying to figure out my best route here. So you're saying you built an extra room off your house with a separate entrance and made it a kitchen...and so long as you don't serve anything there you don't need separate bathrooms? And it is attached to your house? I was under the impression it couldn't even be attached!

So confused! How much did it cost for you to do this 2nd kitchen? (if I might ask) My DH is a general contractor so we can do it cheaper than most can, but I'm not sure what all I will need. Where do I find this out?

If I go the kitchen rental route (I do have one near me) what do I need to become legal then? registered business name I am sure...and still the food handlers course and the servsafe? anything else?

I appreciate your passing on your knowledge. I am web savvy, but cannot understand these stupid Illinois laws! I'm from Ohio where it's much simpler!

mamaof3 Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #15 of 15

I am in North Central Illinois... So glad to see fellow Illinoisans!! I just do cakes for family & friends but I would love to open my own shop someday. I hope that you succeed in your endeavors!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%