Help ! Im Looking For A "scoring" Tool

Decorating By jonannmiller Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 8:17pm by tiggy2

jonannmiller Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #1 of 4

i was watching a gal decorate a sheet cake. she brought out this accordion thing and figured out how many pieces she wanted and spread the accordion tool out so that there would be the # she wanted. there were little "pins" on the bottom of this thing and she lined one side up with the edge of the pan on either side and lightly drug this thing across it left a nice lite line in the frosting. then to finish marking the pieces she turned the cake a 1/4 turn and did it again. i would like one of these but probably not going to find one. SO how does everyone else do this same thing? PLEASE help, im fairly new to this (feb'09) THANKS
ann

3 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:16am
post #2 of 4

Hmmmm..... I don't know, so I will give you a bump and maybe someone more experienced can help.

majka_ze Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:09am
post #3 of 4

The easiest low tech method is a piece of adding machine tape and a knife.
Cut the tape in the length of your cake, fold it as you need - you get so the divisions. Mark it on both sides of the cake and with a long knife lightly score the line. No measuring needed.

Or you can make the tool yourself. It needs a little bit of careful measuring. Buy wooden strips (rectangular, about 3/32" or 1/8" wide). Cut to equal lengths, lay next to each other. Mark three lines - middle and near the end. Lay it crosswise and with a nail, connect two of them in the middle. Lay the crosses next to each other and with a nail, connect them on top and bottom. This way you get the accordion part. Nails or pins in the bottom part and with pliers cut the heads of the nails or pins - you have your scoring tool.

Here is a schema for better understanding:
LL

tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 4

I bought a impression mat at my cake decorating store to mark sheet cakes. It works very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%