Homemade Vs. Pre-Packaged I.e. Not From Scratch

Decorating By DelectabilityCakes Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm by DelectabilityCakes

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the site and since I don't feel like searching 745 pages of topics, I'm going to ask this again although I'm sure it's been discussed.

In the general professional baking society, what is the percentage of people that either use boxed cake mix and/or icing/frosting from a container like Satin Ice, Wilton, Bettercream, etc.

I know that it still takes endurance and talent to complete such arts of work and I'm sure I could save a lot of time if I just pulled my icing from a gallon container or even if I made it in advance but I make it as I need it...

Like I said I'm too new and I don't want to feel guilty or looked down upon because I don't make everything from scratch. icon_sad.gif

Thanks.

5 replies
sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6

I think you'll find the vast majority make their own BC icings in one way shape or form. I have seen a few threads of people who buy premade icing. Fondant I think might be more split. And cakes I think are pretty split between scratch and box.

I have been a box cake baker since I started and am just now starting to branch out and try new things. I don't sell my cakes though. I'm really a hobby baker, as I've seen it called on here.

Welcome to CC by the way! Have you seen the sign that says this website is highly addictive? I didn't know what that was at first, like some kind of joke. Uh, no. I was glued to a saga unfolding this weekend on here. Highly addictive! Enjoy!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #3 of 6

Personally, I started out making regular BC, the Wilton recipe, not the packaged. I also used cake mixes. I now am strict scratch cake and SMBC for frosting. Occasionally when it is just for family, I make WASC....it's dang good!

No one looks down on anyone for their preferred methods. It's personal to each person. The trouble brews when people say they are scratch and market themselves that way, when in fact they are not. It is lying and deceitful to the customer.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #4 of 6

[quote="DelectabilityCakes"Like I said I'm too new and I don't want to feel guilty or looked down upon because I don't make everything from scratch. icon_sad.gif Thanks.[/quote]

Everyone needs to find their own comfort zone and not feel guilty about it. If you've found it, great........why worry that others will "look down" on you?

Baking is a science, decorating is an art.........when the 2 come together it's a beautiful thing..........everyone has a different way of achieving it and that's OK.

I personally bake exclusively from scratch, not because I don't want others to "look down on me"......I do it that way because I really enjoy the science of baking. I love to experiment with different ingredients. I like the results that I achieve and I like knowing exactly what goes into everything that I make.

Just do what works for you, what other people think really doesn't matter.

Have fun exploring this site, it's a great place to learn!

Deb icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #5 of 6

I bake everything from scratch. All of my cakes, cookies, fillings, frostings, glazes, ice creams... you get the point lol. the only thing I don't make from scratch is my fondant--I can, obviously, but it's not not time and cost effective (time is money!) when working in high volume (at least for me), so I use Satin Ice because it handles as beautifully as the fondant I make and it tastes delicious. Also, it comes in a range fo color that I can use to blend my custom colors as needed without having to knead pastes and gels into pounds of fondant.

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 6

That's good to know. Do most of the bakeries though use the premade fondant? I do for now but that's just because I'm a little scared and somewhat lazy to do it. But I really need to do the quick pour fondant so that I can get a handle on the petit fours.

DKelly, you're right about the fact that it's a combination of art vs. science. I should probably look at it that way and not worry. I just don't want to lose business because I'm not doing the accepted standard.

How many of the people on this site bake for profit vs. the amount of people that bake for pleasure?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%