Pudding?

Decorating By kandu001 Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm by cylstrial

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 27

Hi everyone!

A friend of mine wants a cake with chocolate pudding as a filling and then covered with fondant. Pudding has to be refrigerated, right? However, fondant doesn't do well in the fridge and I don't really have the space. Is there a way around this? Please help!!! Thank you!!

26 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 27

Well I can't help with your space issues lol, but I can tell you that I use satin ice fondant and I refrigerate ALL of my cakes, without exception. I get a lot of requests for pudding filled cakes, especially for kids cakes.

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 27

I would like to know the answer to this too... I use mmf, I can't get satin ice and mmf is just too cheap to make...

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 27

You can purchase cake fillings that don't need to be refrigerated - some bakeries sell filllings in plastic tubes and I've purchased on that is a bavarian chocolate cream that is EXACTLY like pudding. You can also purchase these online at some of the cake supply stores.

If you refrigerate a fondant cake, just be sure to take it out in time for any condensation to evaporate so you don't deliver a cake with "sweat" on it.

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:00am
post #5 of 27

I used choc pudding once and it turned my cake to mush, so I would like to know the trick to using pudding personally.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:03am
post #6 of 27

Yeah..I would say go for the cake sleeves for fillings, they dont need to be refrigerated!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:04am
post #7 of 27

I do know that using pudding from JELLO , you must reduce the amount of milk to make it firmer...(by about 1/2 a cup i think...cant find the recipe right now) and when I used it, it worked fine... but I had just used buttercream....
Now i want to do it will fondant

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:18am
post #8 of 27

I've been told MFF (as opposed to MMF) does fine in the refrigerator. I'm looking forward to trying it this weekend.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey1865

I used choc pudding once and it turned my cake to mush, so I would like to know the trick to using pudding personally.

The only "trick" I can think of is to make the pudding thicker. I make mine from scratch, but if you use boxed pudding mix just follow the instructions on the box for making pie filling and it should be fine. But, again, this WILL have to be refrigerated.

kandu001 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 27

Is there any way to make it shelf stable so I don't have to refrigerate?

Are those "sleeves" shelf stable? If so, where do I get them???

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #11 of 27

Can you use the pudding that is pre-made? The ones in little cups that are on the grocery store shelf (not in the refrigerated section).

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #12 of 27

I use instant pudding and only put in 1/2 the milk. )you can use flavored creamer for a varity in flavors)...then I add whipped topping or whipped Pastry Pride to make a firm but fluffy filling. I don't refrigerate...but usually do the cake either the night before or that day with that type of filling. It holds well and doesn't soak into the cake. Some cake shops have ready made icings.

Hope this helps.

kandu001 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 27

Thanks!! I had never thought of using those pudding cups. What a great idea! They're fine after opening though, right? I would make the cake the night before and have to leave it out over night before the event. Will it be okay?

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #14 of 27

I don't know about the pudding cups. When my kids don't finish them the pudding turns all watery very quickly- I wonder if it would do that in the cake? Just something to think about...

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:08am
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandu001

Thanks!! I had never thought of using those pudding cups. What a great idea! They're fine after opening though, right? I would make the cake the night before and have to leave it out over night before the event. Will it be okay?

Yes pudding cups need to be put in th fridge after opening.... perhaps you could do pudding flavour buttercream....just a thought.

kandu001 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #16 of 27

Oooh, how do I make pudding flavored buttercream? Do I just add a packet of choc. pudding to my buttercream while mixing??

kandu001 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #17 of 27

Does anyone know if choc. pudding buttercream will taste like choc. pudding and just have a buttercream consistency? Should I tell my friend and ask if it is okay or just make the cake like that??

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I don't know about the pudding cups. When my kids don't finish them the pudding turns all watery very quickly- I wonder if it would do that in the cake? Just something to think about...

Actually that happens from a person's saliva, not the pudding itself. Same thing happens with baby food when it's not eaten all at once.

I've used chocolate pudding in my buttercream before and it makes it very chocolatey. Just be sure to sift the pudding powder real good with your powdered sugar so it's mixed well. HTH

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #19 of 27
Quote:

Is there any way to make it shelf stable so I don't have to refrigerate?

Are those "sleeves" shelf stable? If so, where do I get them???

Yes they are shlef stable

you can get them on online cake supply sites such as fondant source. com ( make sure its all one word together i had to do that so it doesnt get blocked on the post icon_mad.gif )
if you buy anything you can get 10% off by using coupon code "cakecentral" when you check out at the end.
search 'filling' they have filling sleves Henry & Henry brand

country kitchensa .com (also all one word) also has the slevefillings

they have a chocolate bavarian cream one

i have no affiliation with those sites, i have just sucessfully purchased from them both before.. icon_smile.gif

kandu001 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:19pm
post #20 of 27

Thank you! I'm going to go on those sites right now!! I'm shocked that they give a cake central discount, but cake central won't let their name be mentioned. hmmm....

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:

Thank you! I'm going to go on those sites right now!! I'm shocked that they give a cake central discount, but cake central won't let their name be mentioned. hmmm....

yeah.. interesting huh? I think a lot of people wonder about that... but they will allow their sponsored decorating sites name that they advertise constantly on here in the postings...go figure... oh well

good luck I hope you find what you are looking for! icon_smile.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
post #22 of 27

icon_confused.gif what makes them shelf stable? The website states to put them in the fridge... I'm begining to think that there is not much but buttercream to fill with!

HaHa I can't type today! Buttcream icon_redface.gif

kandu001 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #23 of 27

Actually, I ended up asking her if puddingish buttercream would be okay and she said yes. I'm going to sift the choc. pudding packets into the powdered sugar and make it into buttercream. I've never done it before so hopefully it works and tastes good. We will see....

Tortess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tortess Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakey1865

I have used Jello pudding twice in the last couple weeks for cakes, using it just as directed on the box, and they were awesome! I think two things are key:

1) The actual cake was very dense (I can see where a regular box cake would turn to mush). I used the Amazing Chocolate WASC recipe here by Cakepro.

2) After building my bc dam, I let it crust before pouring the pudding. After putting the pudding on, I immediately put the layer in the fridge. The pudding set up really fast and "melting" the bc wasn't a problem.

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:

Actually, I ended up asking her if puddingish buttercream would be okay and she said yes. I'm going to sift the choc. pudding packets into the powdered sugar and make it into buttercream. I've never done it before so hopefully it works and tastes good. We will see....

Thats great it all worked out for you!
I would still like to know more about these sleeves and how the are shelf stable when the instructions say they need to be in the fridge once opened? I'm confused....

kandu001 Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:25pm
post #26 of 27

good question!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

Quote:

yeah.. interesting huh? I think a lot of people wonder about that... but they will allow their sponsored decorating sites name that they advertise constantly on here in the postings...go figure... oh well

good luck I hope you find what you are looking for! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for letting me know! I order from CK, but I never knew that. And I'm getting ready to place another order soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%