Decorating By LaBellaFlor Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm by KitchenKat

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I did not get one picture of my son opening his presents without their heads in the way.

My first child's first birthday. Hubby's sister's son (oldest of the grandchildren) parks his butt right next to my daughter to make sure his face is in every picture. And in every picture, he's staring DIRECTLY into the camera. Like you, I have no pictures of MY child's first birthday that doesn't have this kid cheesing it up for the camera. And no, none of the adults thought there was anything wrong with that at all. After all, he was the first grandson .... the family golden boy.

I was one of 6 kids and we learned very early that "if it's not your birthday, you stay to the side. You'll get your turn in the limelight on YOUR birthday."

AMEN TO THAT! I have 7 & they know the rules. If I don't ask for your help with the younger ones, fall back. They know its all about fairness. I always ask them how they want it to be when its their turn.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #32 of 69

You know what else? It is very distracting for ME to have the people's kids there. Listening to them smack the food in their mouths (yuck), lick the plate (really, WHEN is that ok?), twirl around in my chairs..put their FEET on my CLOTH kitchen chairs. I would not let me kids do that in my house, my friend's house, and CERTAINLY not a total stranger's house! They are paying me for cake..not free run of my home (i am licensed BTW). But I lose track of my thoughts as i watch their children misbehave...

Don't people realize how they let their children behave is a reflection on them?

That said, I have not said no kids because I know how hard it is to find sitters. maybe I will put a "well behaved kids disclaimer" in my email.

Julia

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #33 of 69

I can't stand "helpers" opening the presents and getting in the way at parties and showers!!!

When my kids were younger I would have parties at the house and put out a large plastic swimming pool for the kids to put the presents in when they arrived. Then when it was time to open the gifts my child got into the pool to open the gifts - no one else allowed in the pool! That way no one could "help" open any presents.

Of course my other pet peeve goes the other way when you are at a shower and NO ONE helps the bride/mother-to-be and she is struggling to open 50 presents for 2 hours!! At many a shower I set up a chain gang with 2 people to hand the card (already opened) to the bride with the gift for her to open, then another person to take the gift from the bride and tape the card to it and hand it off to someone else to walk the gift around the room before placing it on display on another table so everyone can see what she got. You need at least 3-5 people to run it smoothly.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:00am
post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Of course my other pet peeve goes the other way when you are at a shower and NO ONE helps the bride/mother-to-be and she is struggling to open 50 presents for 2 hours!! At many a shower I set up a chain gang with 2 people to hand the card (already opened) to the bride with the gift for her to open, then another person to take the gift from the bride and tape the card to it and hand it off to someone else to walk the gift around the room before placing it on display on another table so everyone can see what she got. You need at least 3-5 people to run it smoothly.

Slightly off topic, but I remember as a little kid (about 5?) going to my cousin's wedding and they did something I've never seen since. They had greeters at the door of the church taking the gifts (this was back in the day when receptions were ALWAYS at the church and when couples ALWAYS opened their gifts at the reception.) I remember I didn't want to give this stranger the present I was carrying. Anyway, when we got to the reception, all of the gifts were open and on display, with cards attached. Everyone got to see what the couple got as gifts and the couple got to spend their time visiting with their guests. Even as a little 5 year old, I remember how neat that was to see all the gifts without having to sit thru the boring opening part.

LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #35 of 69

Sweetresults I love the idea of a kiddie pool with the gifts! That would so eliminate telling the kids to step back constantly (as the parents don't seem to regulate them). I have 2 birthdays in May & I will definitly do that for my to be turning 3 yr. old. We're having a joint party for her, my son, & best friend (NO seperate parties this year, they're all born in the same week!). Do you have any suggestions how to do something similiar for my son who is turning 11? He's a little to old & a little too much boy for the kiddie pool idea.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

No kids. Period. I get frosty.

Did I tell you about the time a bride showed up for her appointment? And brought her mom? And her MOH? And her sister? And the EIGHT kids from her home day care business?

Sent her packin'. She never got out of the foyer.

Good Golly! Did they pull up in a short bus?? 12??? people???

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:33am
post #37 of 69

At my niece's wedding, several young relatives of the groom were running around the reception, weaving through the tables and the guests. They ran smack into the cake table, and knocked the cake to the floor at my feet. (I just happened to be standing near the cake.) I was stunned. Several of us blocked the bride's view of the disaster while the wait staff cleaned the mess. The venue quickly substituted cheesecakes for the wedding cake from their restaurant. The bride was truly classy about it, and just laughed it off when she was finally told.
No, throngs of little kids don't belong at weddings.

SweetResults Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:37am
post #38 of 69

LaBellaFlor - how about putting some stakes in the ground and getting some Caution tape and roping off a little area - maybe with a sign that says "Gift Opening in Progress - Birthday Boys Only" or something funny like that? Or if he is into hockey or soccer and you have a net, you could put all the gifts into the net and he could sit in front of the net to open, that way no one could get their hands on any of the gifts until he opens them? I used a wheelbarrow one year when we had a construction themed birthday. (sorry to hijack LOL!)

And btw - a big no to kids at tastings unless it is for THEIR party of over 80 people. I don't do tastings for smaller cakes anyway.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:41am
post #39 of 69

You'd hope by the time kids are 11, they'd know the presents are for the birthday child.

leahs, what's MOH?

SweetResults Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #40 of 69

Maid Of Honor

indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

At my niece's wedding, several young relatives of the groom were running around the reception, weaving through the tables and the guests.

omg, I'm full of stories tonight!

Did a wedding at a Legion Hall or something similar. The "table" for the hot buffet was a piece of plywood over a pinball-type game table. Believe it or not, it was "sturdy" enough. I didn't make the cake.

There were about 5 little kids (under 7) running 'round and 'round the cake table, with only one adult TRYING to keep them under control. You could tell she had no kids of her own by the way she was clucking around trying to get them to stop running. I'm sitting there, gritting my teeth, thinking "it's not my cake, it's not my cake, it's not my cake".

Then they did it. They RUN up to the plywood table, where I have chafers of food with open flame under them and the GRAB the plywood to stop themselves! I'm outta that chair in a nano-second, saying "kids, running into open fire is not a good idea, so we're not going to run in this room anymore, are we?" (parents were too busy at the bar!)

So they are all lined up for the buffet when they decide to say a prayer at the last minute. I see some commotion out of the corner of my eye and these same kids are playing in the coolers of ice and sodas. I walk over and say, "Let's not spit the ice back into the cooler because some people are putting this ice in their drinks, ok?" and I closed the lid.

A room FULL of adults and SOMEBODY was the parent(s) of these kids but it's the CATERER who is telling them to quit spitting ice into the ice supply! icon_eek.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:54am
post #42 of 69

That's a tough situation. If they are THAT out of control then she would be smart enough to know that she shouldn't bring them with her.

There are those times when children shouldn't be brought, especially if they are out of control.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #43 of 69

[
I agree totally! I threw a baby shower for a close friend of mine. I didnt put "No Children" on the invitation, but I wish I would have. 2 mutual friends brought their children, and while I was giving everyone a tour of my new house they opened ALL THE PRESENTS!!! icon_mad.gif I was sooo angry!

I have 2 children of my own and I even arranged for them and my hubby to be someplace else that day. The thing that absolutely killed me though was that both mothers, just kinda shrugged it off to kids will be kids. Ohh, my lord heaven help my children if they EVER did anything like that. They wouldnt be able to sit for a week![/quote]

That "kids will be kids" reminded me of when my son (age 13 at the time) borrowed the neighbors car in the middle of the night. Their son was with him. The parents just said "Boys will be boys". I, on the other hand was livid. NO, not my son. He was grounded for months.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:14am
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhart

Quote:

jayde, I have a high tolerance for kids, but only those who have mothers who make them behave!!!! But I absolutely DETEST kids at a shower who think they have to "help" the bride or the mom open the gifts. And I detest even MORE the mom who sits backs and grins at the whole thing because she honestly believes everyone else thinks it's OH SO CUTE, TOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

aaaauuuugggghhhhhh!!!!!!

Now that I think about it maybe it's the parents that unnerve me not the whining kids.

Some parents have brain blockage. I am irrate at the parents. Children get bored easily why put them in an enviroment that they are going to get antsy, whinny, that's just wrong.

I never understood why parents take their children grocery shopping when they are hungry or tired and want the rest of the store to listen to the kid scream as they go from one end to the other.

I'm glad I saw this thread, I never thought that anyone would bring children to a tasting. I will have to be prepared and limit who attends. I don't have the Bride and their guest taste at our appointment, I give them samples to take home to try with their family.

I want them to be comfortable when they are trying the samples and not feel pressured.

I go over everything with them give them a sample contract they would sign (once a desision is made) and a box of samples. That way they can read the contract carefully and they can't say later they "didn't know".

Janette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #45 of 69
Quote:

Quote:

I did not get one picture of my son opening his presents without their heads in the way.

My first child's first birthday. Hubby's sister's son (oldest of the grandchildren) parks his butt right next to my daughter to make sure his face is in every picture. And in every picture, he's staring DIRECTLY into the camera. Like you, I have no pictures of MY child's first birthday that doesn't have this kid cheesing it up for the camera. And no, none of the adults thought there was anything wrong with that at all. After all, he was the first grandson .... the family golden boy.

I was one of 6 kids and we learned very early that "if it's not your birthday, you stay to the side. You'll get your turn in the limelight on YOUR birthday."

I have a big mouth. I just come right out and tell the child they need to go and sit with their parents.

BYW: The child that ruined my son's wedding - later they brought the toddler to one of my parties and the (excuse me) Brat did nothing but throw hissy fits. I kept asking the Mother if she would like to go upstairs and lay down with her.

After the fifth time the Mother looks at me and says "but, she's not tired". My reply, "she may not be tired but it's not fair to my guest that they have to listen to her screaming and you are not picking up on my hint".

Needless to say the Mother got her husband packed up and left. On the way out the Father says "she's just one of those kids". I told him "no, I think you are just one of those parents".

That was a few years ago and I haven't heard from them since. I'm I sorry - no.

LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:23am
post #46 of 69

Those are pretty good ideas Sweetresults, thank you. I think roping off a section is so funny & we'll be going with that one. My husaband liked both ideas for the kids. And yeah, you do have to tell 11 year olds to stand back, oh, about every 30 seconds.
Indydeb, I know what your talking about. I have a couple of friends that have some kids that listen to me, better then there own parents. Thats a shame. Let me tell you this story.
My friend had a babyshower at her mother's house, who, by the way, DID NOT allow people to bring their kids to her house. In fact, she only allowed her granchildren there & as she put it, its cause she had to as they were her grands. The only other kids she allowed were my own. She was always amazed that they were polite & actually would sit still on the couch or in fromt of the tv. Well at this ababyshower the kids were upstairs & the adults downstairs (3 level house) with 2 adults watching about 8 kids in the den. I go upstairs & the 2 adults are talking away, well the children are run around the den, THROWING PILLOWS! They even knocked down some vases & the adults watching them said NOTHING. I didn't really know the guest my friend invited, but I was really close to her family, so I had to step in, gets some bass in my voice, had them sit their butts down, and to heck what those adults or parents thought! Its sad when you have to regulate other people's children.

Janette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

At my niece's wedding, several young relatives of the groom were running around the reception, weaving through the tables and the guests. They ran smack into the cake table, and knocked the cake to the floor at my feet. (I just happened to be standing near the cake.) I was stunned. Several of us blocked the bride's view of the disaster while the wait staff cleaned the mess. The venue quickly substituted cheesecakes for the wedding cake from their restaurant. The bride was truly classy about it, and just laughed it off when she was finally told.
No, throngs of little kids don't belong at weddings.

Most of you heard my story of the Graduation cake that went flying across the room when kids running around the table knocked the table over.

Janette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:34am
post #48 of 69

One more story and I'll quit with the stories.

I now have a sign on the fridge behind our bar "NO ONE UNDER 21 WILL BE ALLOWED TO DRINK".

Our Halloween party one of our guest brought her 15 yr old daughter and her friend. I didn't find out until later that she allowed them to drink.

I brought it up to her and she said "they're going to drink anyway, I may as well be there". I'm sure I had a look of horror on my face as I told her I didn't know about it or I would have put a stop to it.

What an attitude to have. We have always had a bar in our home and my grown children will tell you they never touched a drink until they were 21, not even in college. They have no reason to lie about it now.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #49 of 69

y'all got some crazy kids (and parents) by you. I like having kids around and I don't mind them at the tastings, but no one has "run around" my shop. Maybe if I had more experiences with badly behaved children my thoughts would be different. Many people who have children before getting married want the wedding to be a family affair. They want the children to feel they are a part of the event. One of the best tastings I have ever had was designing a cake for two families combining. They had 4 kids. They tasted and help design the wedding cake. Then when it was adult talking time, the oldest children took the others outside to the grassy area in front of the shop. It was a lot of fun.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

No kids. Period. I get frosty.

Did I tell you about the time a bride showed up for her appointment? And brought her mom? And her MOH? And her sister? And the EIGHT kids from her home day care business?

Sent her packin'. She never got out of the foyer.

Good Golly! Did they pull up in a short bus?? 12??? people???

Probably not, they probably crammed all those kids into a 4 door sedan, without the benefit of carseats or seatbelts...Dont even get me started on that! Our state has new carseat laws, and I swear if I hear one more parent at pre-school say "Oh, Johnny doesnt sit in a carseat because he doesnt like that it restrains him." I swear I will hit someone... icon_mad.gificon_eek.gif

Ok back to the topic...

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

I have a big mouth. I just come right out and tell the child they need to go and sit with their parents.

BYW: The child that ruined my son's wedding - later they brought the toddler to one of my parties and the (excuse me) Brat did nothing but throw hissy fits. I kept asking the Mother if she would like to go upstairs and lay down with her.

After the fifth time the Mother looks at me and says "but, she's not tired". My reply, "she may not be tired but it's not fair to my guest that they have to listen to her screaming and you are not picking up on my hint".

Needless to say the Mother got her husband packed up and left. On the way out the Father says "she's just one of those kids". I told him "no, I think you are just one of those parents".

Janette, I'm with you. If a child is running around and misbehaving in my presence and their parent isn't stepping up to control them, I don't have any problem taking that kid by the arm and saying, "You need to stop this. Where is your parent?" and then I take them over to their parent and ask them to mind their child. Someone has to step up and be a parent. If the parent doesn't know how, I'm happy to demonstrate!! I don't really care if the parent doesn't like it. Everyone else in the room does. I just can't stand to see an important event ruined by bad behavior.

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:45pm
post #52 of 69
Quote:

Probably not, they probably crammed all those kids into a 4 door sedan, without the benefit of carseats or seatbelts...Dont even get me started on that! Our state has new carseat laws, and I swear if I hear one more parent at pre-school say "Oh, Johnny doesnt sit in a carseat because he doesnt like that it restrains him." I swear I will hit someone... icon_mad.gificon_eek.gif

Ok back to the topic...

In a minute, anyway. icon_razz.gif
A co-worker's two children survived a scary rollover car wreck last week. because they were strapped firmly in their carseats. One is an infant less than 3 months old. Without the seats ... brrr. I don't like to think about it. As it was, they weren't even injured.
My kids hate their carseats. The baby in particular pitches a major fit. Tough beans. Better annoyed than dead.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. icon_biggrin.gif

I would have absolutely no problems with well-behaved children at a tasting (or a wedding, or a party ...). The key words, of course, are "well-behaved." Not all kids are monsters.

After some of the stories I've read on CC, I'd rather see the well-behaved kids than the badly behaved adults! icon_wink.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #53 of 69

[quote="JillK"]

Quote:

I would have absolutely no problems with well-behaved children at a tasting (or a wedding, or a party ...). The key words, of course, are "well-behaved." Not all kids are monsters.

After some of the stories I've read on CC, I'd rather see the well-behaved kids than the badly behaved adults! icon_wink.gif

Actually, I think MOST kids are not monsters, they're just doing what kids are supposed to do - be curious, active, and talkative. I LOVE that in kids in the right environment. It really comes down to stupid parents.

I have to say that my younger daughter was one of those "perfect" kids who even at 3 years old came along with me to all kinds of things because she unfailingly sat happily with a piece of paper and colored and did not make a single peep the whole time. People were astounded. On the other hand, I took my older daughter practically NOWHERE because she swung from the chandeliers wherever she went (ADHD....). I had to use a lot of good judgment about where I took her. Chucky Cheese, yes - cake tastings - NO!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm
post #54 of 69

I never gave it a thought until I had a couple bring their terrible 2 year old with them. OMG - it was AWFUL. They of course think he is adorable, he is getting into everything - they finally get him to set down and offer him a piece of one of the tasting cakes, and he THREW it across the room. NO KID ALLOWED from then on.

I am also a firm believer that there should be KID FREE restaurants or at least no kids allowed after 7 pm - that way we are not subjected to them while trying to enjoy our dinner out. I raised 3 daughters and they would never in their lives tried to pull the crap 95% of the kids pull nowdays. I will ask to be moved if I am setting by misbehaving children.

Now, on the other hand, if we have eaten our meal next to children that have behaved well, I always compliment them and their parents on how nice it was to see such well mannered children.

Can you tell what my pet peeve is?? icon_mad.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #55 of 69

This reminds me of a time, years ago, when our daughter was about 5 years old. We were grocery shopping and she spotted something that she just had to have (don't even remember now what that was). And she put in she was going to have it. Well I meant she wasn't going to have it. So she had a melt down. I calmly picked her up, put her in the buggy and walked all the way to the other side of the store. And with a screaming 5 year old that was a long walk. I got her to the restroom and her little fannie was smokin' when we left the restroom. You can rest assured that she NEVER did that again. Nor my youngest daughter that was there at the time did either. Kids will act however they are allowed to act. Mine will try me but they won't try but once. They know the "look" and the "tone" in my voice. And that gets the attention. It is funny how some parents never even realize they have the control, not the kid.

Janette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:36pm
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Janette, I'm with you. If a child is running around and misbehaving in my presence and their parent isn't stepping up to control them, I don't have any problem taking that kid by the arm and saying, "You need to stop this. Where is your parent?" and then I take them over to their parent and ask them to mind their child. Someone has to step up and be a parent. If the parent doesn't know how, I'm happy to demonstrate!! I don't really care if the parent doesn't like it. Everyone else in the room does. I just can't stand to see an important event ruined by bad behavior.

icon_biggrin.gif I especially enjoy in the store asking loudly "were are your parents?".

Or if they are with their parents I like to tell them "let me take your child home for two weeks and you won't believe they are the same child when you get them back". Thank God they never take me up on it.

Janette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I never gave it a thought until I had a couple bring their terrible 2 year old with them. OMG - it was AWFUL. They of course think he is adorable, he is getting into everything - they finally get him to set down and offer him a piece of one of the tasting cakes, and he THREW it across the room. NO KID ALLOWED from then on.

I am also a firm believer that there should be KID FREE restaurants or at least no kids allowed after 7 pm - that way we are not subjected to them while trying to enjoy our dinner out. I raised 3 daughters and they would never in their lives tried to pull the crap 95% of the kids pull nowdays. I will ask to be moved if I am setting by misbehaving children.

Now, on the other hand, if we have eaten our meal next to children that have behaved well, I always compliment them and their parents on how nice it was to see such well mannered children.

Can you tell what my pet peeve is?? icon_mad.gif

I think I love you.

I've asked to be moved in resturants because of misbehaved children.

One of the things I buy a new Mother is a cute carry bag that the child can carry with them when they go places to put small toys and things that can keep them busy. No parent should walk out of the house without toys for their kids to play with. You never know when you are going to be stuck somewhere.

I can't help but wonder if there are any of those Mothers reading this thread and is getting the message. icon_rolleyes.gif

Janette Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhart

This reminds me of a time, years ago, when our daughter was about 5 years old. We were grocery shopping and she spotted something that she just had to have (don't even remember now what that was). And she put in she was going to have it. Well I meant she wasn't going to have it. So she had a melt down. I calmly picked her up, put her in the buggy and walked all the way to the other side of the store. And with a screaming 5 year old that was a long walk. I got her to the restroom and her little fannie was smokin' when we left the restroom. You can rest assured that she NEVER did that again. Nor my youngest daughter that was there at the time did either. Kids will act however they are allowed to act. Mine will try me but they won't try but once. They know the "look" and the "tone" in my voice. And that gets the attention. It is funny how some parents never even realize they have the control, not the kid.

OMG, my grown children still talk about the "look" they would freeze on the spot. They say I was a dictator and I tell them that's alright you turned out to be a responsible adult and an asset to the community.

indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #59 of 69

dmhart, and the thing is, you only have to tan their behind just ONCE! After that, you only have to threaten it! Then "the look" does your work for you.

Been there ... done that ... ended up with great kids!

LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #60 of 69
Quote:

dmhart, and the thing is, you only have to tan their behind just ONCE! After that, you only have to threaten it! Then "the look" does your work for you.

Been there ... done that ... ended up with great kids!

And so many parents don't get that Indydebi. It only takes one really good time, when they're young, the first time! My kids joke how I threaten, but don't actually spank them, but I also only have to tell them ONE TIME!...cause they know Mommy's a killer & she doesn't like any bad kids around her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%