Please! Advice On Making My Bc Less Likely To Crack

Decorating By elvis Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 3:31am by elvis

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 5

I use all butter buttercream, which does crust a little (I like crusting bc).... but also very likely to crack if the board moves the slightest bit.

It's nearly always my sheet cakes that get the hairline cracks...especially if they've been sitting out and are room temperature. I've tried stacking several boards, masonite boards....doesn't matter. The slightest bend in board creates the tiny cracks no matter what.

Anyone have a tried and true method? I've read about adding corn syrup, vinegar, crisco.... There's nothing more disappointing than a cake that goes from beautiful to ick in 2 seconds just for picking it up. And who knows how many more cracks form on the ride home with the customer! Uggh.

Open to any cake board/support suggestions...or buttercream ingedient suggestions. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 5

Well, my hint was going to be make sure your cake board is stiff enough...but I see you've got that covered. So, I guess I'm not going to be any help.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #3 of 5

The only way to avoid flex caused cracking is to prevent flexing. Either layers of foam core boards,, plastic or wood. The heavier the cake, the sturdier the base: no base flex = no cake flex. Also, not carriing on the edges but supporting closer to the center.

Wish I had better news. i learned my lessons.

Sandy

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #4 of 5

Go to the hardware/lumber store and get some 1/4" MDF. I just used it to make a cupcake stand and it's VERY sturdy. If you're still not comfortable with 1/4", get thicker. MDF is extremely reliable and is used a lot for shelving because it doesn't bend and flex like plywood and other wood/wood products do.

You've got to have an absolutely reliable and solid base. I learned that the hard way. icon_smile.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your replies! I am going to experiment with your suggestions for some cakes that I have this weekend. I've never heard of MDF but that sounds good. My cakes are always so heavy--even the 1/4 sheets. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%