How Is This Design Made?

Decorating By cai0311 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 12:52am by OfficerMorgan

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 17

I started decorating cakes a few years ago as a fun hobby. A friend of mine is getting married and I offered to make the wedding cake as a gift. I have been emailing his fiance about the specifics and asked her to send me any pictures of cakes she liked. The picture she sent is of a more detailed cake than I have done in the past. The picture is not of the best quality, I have asked for a clearer one, but so far I have not received one.
She would prefer butter cream icing on the cake but I think the cake in the picture is fondant-am I right?
LL

16 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 17

Judging by the variations in shading...I think it may be painted on the fondant. But then again, it looks like cutouts on the top edge of the top tier too.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 17

I agree - the shading of the design makes it look like it's painted onto fondant, but if you look closely at the top tier, it looks like it might be piped on. So.... that in mind, it might be a combination of piping and brushed embroidery which would give it that shading affect. If they can't get you a clearer photo, then I'd just do what's easiest for you. If YOU can't tell what it is, than THEY definitely can't! icon_surprised.gif)

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 17

It looks like stenciled buttercream to me but not sure if on buttercream or fondant. I saw a tutorial on how to do it somewhere on CC-I think it was Edna from designme a cake.com (with no spaces) that posted it but not sure. If you search in the forum section, you may be able to find it. It looked pretty easy (with a little practice!)

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 17

It does look like a stencilled design and though its not very clear. it could be done on either fondant or buttercream,just scroll thru the cc tutorials, its a cuurtent topic.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 17

Lol!! Typo Error! I meant 'Current Topic'!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 17

My first thought was stenciled by airbrush over fondant, then handpainted the red parts. But not sure.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 17

that looks like a picture from a book or magazine....if so, maybe you could go to the book store and look at it...........if that's not the case, it looks to me like it's stenciled on and I think you can do that over buttercream if you're careful, obviously easier on fondant........but it could be done.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 17

I think this is one of the cutters:
"Double Leaf Scroll Cutter by Stephen Benison"
This is the precise name of the cutter for sale on an international website. Just google this name, and the website they continually block here on CC will show up.
The design is from thinly rolled fondant, I suggest using a pasta machine (an electric attachment is a plus!) for ease, speed, and even thickness. I've seen many other cakes like this, using a variety of cutters, even the old green ones for flower making from Wilton. Colette Peters did a demo on this at the Mid-Atlantic Cake show last year. She emphasized just fooling around with some leaf and petal cutters to make a pattern on your own. Stephen Benison also has many other great cutters for this purpose, but a little pricey. Look for some less expensive flower and leaf cutters, looking at their design rather than what they are supposed to be. I'm sure it will turn out great, and will be your own creative design! icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 17

I agree with sweetiesbykim... I actually have that cutter, and used it on this cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1338079.html

CakesByLJ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #11 of 17

oops, forgot to mention, I got mine at www.globalsugarart.com
icon_biggrin.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 17

Hey cakesbyLJ, why didn't the website get blocked on your post? Mine always do. That's what I meant to write above.
P.S. I love your cake! Another one added into my faves icon_smile.gif

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 17

It looks stenciled, if you look close the flowers are very if not identical when the patterned is duplicated. Find a design you like get the blank stencil plastic, trace your design and cut it out. When you color with buttercream have to colors (one darker and the contrast or a lighter one) . Stencil the majority with the darker color then take the contrasting color and mix it lightly with the darker one. You kind of want to have 1/2 and 1/2 and then stencil the unstenciled parts. It's kind of when you make buttercream flowers with two colors.

Well I'm can't say it's how it is done but, this is how I would do it.

Good Luck!!!

CakesByLJ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

Hey cakesbyLJ, why didn't the website get blocked on your post? Mine always do. That's what I meant to write above.
P.S. I love your cake! Another one added into my faves icon_smile.gif

Thanks... I loved how that cake came out myself. icon_biggrin.gif
It took a while to cut out all the pieces, but was easy to attach since I let them dry for a few days..
I'm not sure why your link didn't work icon_confused.gif I typed in the www. I wonder if that had anything to do with it... icon_confused.gif

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #15 of 17

That looks like a Martha Stewart Weddings magazine.

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:47am
post #16 of 17

Yes it does. i have her wedding cake book but this one is not in it! Sorry.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #17 of 17

To me it looks stenciled. It's really, really beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%