One For All The "bridal Magazines"

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 5:03am by supermama322

Babarooskie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 24

OK, so I'm fed up with some of these magazines writing these articles that the "cake is not a necessity" or the "cake is not something to splurge on".
Granted, time's are tough...but below are some pointers that maybe these magazines should be aware of....

Magazine says, *Make the cake yourself*
-OK, sure...when you're getting your hair done, your manicure & pedicure, having the final fitting for your dress, organizing your rehearsal dinner, and finalizing all your paperwork, my hats off to you if you can squeeze in a cake to feed 200 people.

Magazine says, *Add a tier as a dummy cake*
- So you just want a piece of styrofoam in the middle of your cake, undecorated?

Magazine says, "Make cupcakes instead"
-Sure. 200 individual cakes are much more easier to decorate than a 16" round cake to serve more than 50 people? Does the bride have a conventional oven to bake more than 24 cupcakes at once?

Magazine says, "$3.50 per serving is outrageous!*
-So when you go to Chili's Restaurant, the chocolate molten cake priced at $5.99 isn't outrageous??? (That's how much it is in Miami, I called and asked!)

Magazine says, "Get a dummy cake and have the kitchen serve sheet cakes for less!"
-Again, you want pieces of styrofoam on the cake table?

Magazine says, "Add real flowers than sugar flowers"
-Pesticides on the flowers can get on the cake and be given to the guests...nice!
thumbs_up.gif

Feel free to add any others...

23 replies
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 24

My favorite is the advice to get he individual cakes for each guest, wihtout a mention of the cost. That's always a surprise when they call about those and I tell them how much it would be icon_twisted.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 24

I recently had a florist tell a bride to dispense with the big tiered cake I'd priced for her and to get a dummy cake with sheets in the back. When she asked me to price her cake that way I asked why she wanted to skimp on the cake when she could forego real flowers for beautiful silk flowers. After all, nowadays they're much higher quality than in the past, the color selection is huge and she can hand pick everything herself and save a ton of money. She said, "Oh you're right - I didn't even think of that."

I just grinned. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

Babarooskie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I recently had a florist tell a bride to dispense with the big tiered cake I'd priced for her and to get a dummy cake with sheets in the back. When she asked me to price her cake that way I asked why she wanted to skimp on the cake when she could forego real flowers for beautiful silk flowers. After all, nowadays they're much higher quality than in the past, the color selection is huge and she can hand pick everything herself and save a ton of money. She said, "Oh you're right - I didn't even think of that."

I just grinned. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

My favorite is this...

I charge $2.50 per mile for delivery. When the client thinks it's too much or says, "Why so much to just go to the location and deliver?"
I simply say, "You pay for an airline ticket round-trip, right?" icon_confused.gif

Duh.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

Magazine says, "Get a dummy cake and have the kitchen serve sheet cakes for less!"

icon_mad.gif That one chaps me. But I don't even let it be an option with me. No sheet cakes period.

So, see this 4 & 1/2 inch tall tier cake you have out here? Some of your guests will get that, with all of it's decorations and fillings....and which guests are you picking to serve a 2" tall piece undecorated and unfilled to? The unimportant guests? Cuz they are gonna notice...dummies. icon_mad.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 24

Magazine says "serve appetizers instead of a big meal" when the truth is that appetizers can cost much more than a nice buffet. Little food does not have a little price tag.

I actually saw an article once that said a buffet would cost more than a plated/served meal because the caterer had to make enough food to keep the pans FULL all night long! Are you freakin' kidding me??? icon_eek.gif I don't know one single person who expects to see food for 100 sitting on the buffet tables AFTER 100 people have gone thru the line. And we DON'T let food set out ALL NIGHT LONG! (those silly little health dept rules, ya know!)

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #7 of 24

Depending on how many servings you need, order a full sheet cake (100 servings), a half sheet cake (50 servings) and a quarter sheet cake (25 servings), all iced in white. Place the half sheet on the full sheet cake and then the quarter sheet on top. Use ready-to-use frosting that comes in a can with a nozzle to touch up any mistakes and fill in the gap between the layers. You dont have to remove the cardboard between the layers, it will help steady the cake when its time to cut. Dont go any higher than three layers, if you do you run the risk of the bottom layer being squashed by the weight of the upper layers.

Hahahahaha.....cakewrecks! This was copied (without permission of course from ezine articles....heh heh.

indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #8 of 24

So THAT'S where Sandra Lee gets her ideas!

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #9 of 24

Yep...but they conveniently mention not to go tooooo high to risk the cake collapsing, how responsible of them!

sarahpierce Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I actually saw an article once that said a buffet would cost more than a plated/served meal because the caterer had to make enough food to keep the pans FULL all night long! Are you freakin' kidding me??? icon_eek.gif I don't know one single person who expects to see food for 100 sitting on the buffet tables AFTER 100 people have gone thru the line. And we DON'T let food set out ALL NIGHT LONG! (those silly little health dept rules, ya know!)

I have been to several weddings with a buffet. It has been some of the best food I've eaten at a wedding. But, I don't think it was ever "all you can eat". icon_confused.gif Isn't that bad etiquette? Seriously, the couple pay for a certain amount of food. Are people really rude enough to keep going back for more? Very disrespectful.

notjustcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 24

yeap very tacky ways to cut back

queenie1958 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:40am
post #12 of 24

My favorite is this...

I charge $2.50 per mile for delivery. When the client thinks it's too much or says, "Why so much to just go to the location and deliver?"
I simply say, "You pay for an airline ticket round-trip, right?"

Duh.

Man I love this
I laughed out loud and scared the dog

Babarooskie Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie1958

My favorite is this...

Duh.

Man I love this

There's more where that came from! lol

loriana Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

So THAT'S where Sandra Lee gets her ideas!

G*D I can't stand her. I really can't. Don't ask me why. Ok, Ill tell ya:

She acts like a know-it-all
I hate how she themes everything out
I hate semi-homemade. Either you make it or you don't.... what a concept!
I know! Let's have a lobster-themed beach party on the beach that we would never catch a lobster from. And let's bring real tables and chairs and torches and 50 pounds of table accessories. And then let's lug it back to the car. Yeah.. right. icon_confused.gif

eggsnbakin Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 24

I can't believe they would suggest the bride make it herself. Not only because of everything else you are doing at the time of your wedding, but most likely, unless you are a skilled decorator; it would be a disaster!

indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:45pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsnbakin

I can't believe they would suggest the bride make it herself. Not only because of everything else you are doing at the time of your wedding, but most likely, unless you are a skilled decorator; it would be a disaster!

Oh but haven't you heard? It's "just a cake"! icon_eek.gif

cakes22 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #17 of 24

"do it yourself wedding cakes"~ sounds like a new cake wreck category.

marmalade1687 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #18 of 24

I was looking on a wedding website today and noticed a thread about cupcake wedding cakes. One of the brides posted a photo of a cupcake tower that she had seen on the Food Network Challenge.

Her idea - "So the layers in between (except for the top) are going to be fake. And the cupcake layers we're going to use wooden skewers to anchor so the only part of the cupcake you see is the frosting part. It's not going to look exactly like this picture but you get a rough idea. Now all I have to do is find someone who will actually make it. Haha!"

Her next comment - "I haven't spoke to anyone back home about it yet, I figure it would be pretty easy. If I can't find anyone I can always make it myself, I've done some pastry work before. My mom is totally against me making my own cake, says it'll be too stressful, but how hard is it to make 150 cupcakes right?"

This is my biggest pet peeve about wedding magazines and food shows - they always show these big, beautiful cake designs, but never the price tag.
LL

loriana Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

I was looking on a wedding website today and noticed a thread about cupcake wedding cakes. One of the brides posted a photo of a cupcake tower that she had seen on the Food Network Challenge.

Her idea - "So the layers in between (except for the top) are going to be fake. And the cupcake layers we're going to use wooden skewers to anchor so the only part of the cupcake you see is the frosting part. It's not going to look exactly like this picture but you get a rough idea. Now all I have to do is find someone who will actually make it. Haha!"

Her next comment - "I haven't spoke to anyone back home about it yet, I figure it would be pretty easy. If I can't find anyone I can always make it myself, I've done some pastry work before. My mom is totally against me making my own cake, says it'll be too stressful, but how hard is it to make 150 cupcakes right?"

This is my biggest pet peeve about wedding magazines and food shows - they always show these big, beautiful cake designs, but never the price tag.

Oh

My

Gosh

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!

That is cray-zee! (thanks K8!) That's probably a $5000 cake since it has like... 50 hours of work into it. That and 50 lbs. of fondant. Geez Luiz!!!

"Shouldn't be too hard to make" *snicker*
"I've done some pastry work before" *snicker*
"mom says I shouldnt stress myself out" *snicker*

Oh yeah... that's the reason. Whew... thanks for the afternoon laugh!!

shanna_banana Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

"do it yourself wedding cakes"~ sounds like a new cake wreck category.

How about a new wedding theme called "Disaster Weddings." You know, like they do it on purpose...horrible venue, disastrous cake, bad hair, hideous makeup. You get the idea. I know someone out there would go for it. Can you imagine being asked to make a distrous cake? Easy money!!! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

P.S. I love these types of threads. They always makes me LMAO!! icon_lol.gif

umgrzfn Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie1958

My favorite is this...

Duh.

Man I love this

This is great!! I laughed out loud to and my four year old comes over to the computer and says "Mommy, what is so funny"!!! icon_biggrin.gif

umgrzfn Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm
post #22 of 24

[quote="loriana"]

Quote:

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

marmalade1687 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:45pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Quote:

Oh

My

Gosh

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!

That is cray-zee! (thanks K8!) That's probably a $5000 cake since it has like... 50 hours of work into it. That and 50 lbs. of fondant. Geez Luiz!!!

Oh yeah... that's the reason. Whew... thanks for the afternoon laugh!!

I REALLY wanted to get on the thread and let this poor girl know what she was getting into, but this particular website locks "vendors" out, and brides on it are very vigilante about tracking pretend-brides (vendors pretending to be brides just to be able to sign in)...so, I just had my laugh, shook my head, and moved on! icon_rolleyes.gif

supermama322 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:03am
post #24 of 24

...I made my own wedding cake!! lol!
We had a very DIY wedding and wanted to cut costs.. I was one of those ignorant brides who didn't know how much it would cost to learn how to make cakes. LOL.. Good thing I decided to do that though or I wouldn't have discovered my passion. I had never made a cake before that and I only had 7 months to practice before the wedding!
Now that I sell cake though.. I've grown to hate those ridiculous magazines too. LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%