Fondant Vs Gumpaste 3D Figures

Decorating By underthesun Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm by RandomCakes

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 7

I want to experiment making 3D figures. Fondant I have (MFF) or can make but gumpaste I would have to order on-line. No cake decorating supplies store within 2 hours.

I have read some CC members make their figures out of fondant. But does it dry and harden? Or do they stay soft? Seems like they would be hard to work with. What's the best way to store if they are made with fondant (very humid). Any helpful tips on making these with fondant or should I just wait out the delivery and order gumpaste?

I have read something can be added to fondant to help it harden, but again would have to wait out the delivery. icon_confused.gif

6 replies
ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 7

I like to add tylose powder (CMC powder) to fondant to make it harder (about 1 teaspoon/250 g). You could practice with fondant but I'm not sure it's hard enough for some figures.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 7

You might want to get yourself some Tylose powder next time you order online (I can sympathize - I don't have any cake supply stores near me either).

I live near the ocean and during the summer months it is very humid. IMO, gumpaste doesn't hold up. I've had completely hardened gumpaste pieces melt into a sticky goo. icon_sad.gif Unfortunatley MMF doesn't hold up much better. The best thing for me is commercial fondant with tylose mixed in, about 1 tsp. per baseball size wad of fondant.

Nic Lodge's recipe is supposed to hold up well... but I've never tried it... http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 7

I made this gumpaste yesterday for the first time and it seems easy enough to work with. I used corn syrup instead of the glucose, not at all sure if that would work or flop - but it seems to have worked OK.

EASY GUMPASTE RECIPE
Serves/Yields: 1 Batch
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Category: Fondant/Gumpaste/Sugarpaste
Difficulty: Easy
Introduction
I used this recipe for flowers or any other decorating idea which needed a fast drying gumpaste. Batch can be
doubled or tripled.
Ingredients
1 Lb Powdered Sugar Fine -10X plastic bag
1 Packet Knox Gelatin
2 TBS of Lemon juice
3 TBS of Water
1 Tsp of Glucose
Directions
Add gelatin, water & juice over double boiler; dissolve about 5 to 7 minutes. Add glucose stir. Use a mixer with
dough hook. Place sugar in mixer then add liquid mix until slightly together remove and knead. If it feels too
sticky add a little more sugar. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in plastic bag, seal. Let rest over night.
CakeCentral.com: Recipes : EASY GUMPASTE RECIPE Page 1 of 1
http://

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the input from all! Thanks, beachcakes for the heads up on the gumpaste holding up in humidity. i was thinking about ordering a large tub. Sounds like I need to order the tylose instead. i too live on the beach and if not for CC, I would have given up a month ago on cake decorating. Things just seem to melt and puddle here. But I just keep plugging along with experimenting. clovely - I think I'll make the gumpaste recipe to play with tomorrow. I appreciate everyone's help. icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 7

I'm making gumpaste from the wilton canned mix. I only need a little...not the whole can, so how should i mix it? I'm making a bunch of small circles, so i probably need a golf-ball size....How much mix to water should i use?

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 7

I don't know, because I avoid it like the plague, but does Wal-Mart have gumpaste or gumpaste mix in their craft section. (I avoid Wal-Mart, not gumpaste). I know ours has quite a bit of Wilton cake decorating stuff, but never looked at specifically what they have.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%