Business Plan Help

Business By pipe-dreams Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm by sjmoral

pipe-dreams Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 15

I am looking into renting kitchen space, so I can be legal. Although I can do it from home, "legally" you shouldn't. Anyway, I have contacted a few people about renting, and I am looking for advise. I know I should have a business plan, but where do I even start with this? How did you all know what to do? I am young, and not business savvy. Thank you in advance!

14 replies
Michelle104 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 15

I'm gonna bump you because I was getting ready to ask who all wrote a business plan and how and where did you start? icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 15

I've written two biz plans. Both times, three years apart, I decided I did not want to move to a retail space. I used software purchased at Staples for $39 or so.

Michelle104 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 15

I hope this isn't a stupid ?? Leahs but what do you mean retail space? Is that what a storefront is considered if you don't have a licensed kitchen in your home? Or do you have a licensed kitchen in your home?

pipe-dreams Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 15

Leah, if I go to staples to get it, will it say something about business planning on it? So I know what I'm looking for?

emilyn1975 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 15

I'm working on my business plan right now. Go to and there are free templates to help out. It can be a little overwhelming at first, but is a great thing to do if you're seriously thinking about opening a storefront and is a must-have if you're going to be trying to get financing.

amyscuppycakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 15

I bought Kathy Moore's book "Starting a Cake Decorating Business" which I found really helpful to give me a plan on where to go. She cuts it down into bitesize sections and is really easy to follow. It is a lot of help for basic what to do next.

Michelle104 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 15 that the one you download after you buy it? Or does it come bound??

pipe-dreams Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 15

I don't really want a retail space at this point. I just want a place to "legally" cook and be licensed, so I can advertise, and sell to businesses. My husband knows the wealthiest/most well known person in our city(who actually owns about 1/2 the city). His wife loves my work, and wants to start buying only from me, as well as have her friends only by from me. She has tons of parties with vendors at them, and wants to give my name to them, and add me to the list. She also knows higher ups in a huge nearby city who are wedding people, and wants to add me to that city vendor list. I also have a caterer who wants to recommend me to people, and there are NO wedding cakers in this area, aside from publix. So basically, I've got a ton of potential high end clients, but no approved kitchen to cook in. So right now I'm not interested in storefront! Do I need to do anything different b/c I only need a kitchen?

amyscuppycakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 15

Michelle: I bought it on Amazon. Here's the url

Pipe dreams: I've been told by my local council and other people on here that as soon as you have your premises inspected than your off. If your baking from home or renting it then you need to get it inspected and legalised. Afterwards you can start

pipe-dreams Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 15

Ok, so once I have a kitchen rented and get it inspected..I am good to start. that's great news! now I just have to find a kitchen! Now, once i have a kitchen, I need a license, right? Then do i have to do anything tax/irs wise? Like do i need to start keeping records of everything(ingredients costs, rent, sales) and hook up with hrblock or something?Then claim my taxes next year as a business owner instead of on my husband's as a non-working spouse? Sorry, I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I don't know the legalities/business aspect of it. Thanks!

amyscuppycakes Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:04pm
post #12 of 15

I'm not sure on your taxes but I do know that you have to keep track of everything you spend. Maybe look into book keeping or accounting to get some general knowledge of it? Good luck x

cblupe Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #13 of 15

OK friends here on CC - I am in the really early stage of writing my business plan (which is going quite nice). I am looking at retail space that is awesome but it has nothing in it. I have to start from scratch at equiping this space. I know the obvious, sinks, ovens, refridgerator, work tables, mixers etc. I would like to hear from all of you experts on what you missed when you set up or what you have that you can't live without.

I don't want to miss including anything on my plan when I start looking for financing.

Thanks in advance - I hope this makes sense!

indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #14 of 15

I am very blessed that I had a kitchen designer do my kitchen, so I got a few things extra that I never would have thought of. She didnt' charge me for her services since I bought the equipment from her.

My ONLY two regrets are no garbage disposal (how the heck did we overlook THAT one!?) and I wish I had a 3-door freezer instead of a 2-door.

My niece found a silver 3-shelf cart at a restaurant sale that she bought and gave me. I keep this next to the mixer and use it for storage for gloves, wax paper, measuring cups, trash bags .... misc stuff that I use every single day. It's GREAT (this falls under extra storage).

Things to consider though .... you will need more shelving/storage space than you plan for. Yes, you will.

The purchase that STILL irritates me is paying fifty bucks for a commercial mop bucket. (fifty bucks! that is SO nuts that those things cost that much!).

It's the little things, though, that start to add up, so up your budget for smallwares and misc items, like trash cans ... one by the hand washing sink, one in the restroom and at least 2 in the kitchen area. The mop bucket. The mop. Brooms and dustpan. Paper towels for the hand sink. All the soaps .... sink, handsink, floor, cleaners, sanitizers, windex I(I bought mine thru Sysco, in cases ... cost me $700 up front for soaps. They lasted more than 6 months, though); wax paper, parchment paper, gloves, ziplocks, the dishwashing tools (scratcher, washcloths, yellow rubber gloves), trash bags.

Then the expenses no one told me about so they weren't planned for: dumpster expense, fire extinguishers and semi-annual inspection, grease trap ($1000).

sjmoral Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 15

If I ever open up a place I will never get over a $50 mop bucket either LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%