Chocolate Cake Emergency! Please Help!

Baking By sugabear Updated 25 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm by brincess_b

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 4

I've tried countless recipes and even tried tweaking them, but every chocolate cake I make ends up being gooey and dense like a brownie. When I take it out of the oven it shrinks away from the sides and the whole thing sinks. Can anyone recommend a lighter chocolate cake recipe that uses butter instead of oil? Or am I just doing something wrong? icon_cry.gif Any advice is welcome!

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 4

i make a chocolate victoria sponge. definatly cake like rather than brownie like.
maybe if you post the recipe, someone who understands such things could give you some ideas on how to fix it?
xx

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 4

If you use the WASC recipe on this site and then just subst. choc cake mix in and use 6 whole eggs instead of egg whites, it will come out awesome! I just did one for a party today and we kept picking at all the pieces left on the counter from cutting it, lol!
The one I use calls for:
2 box cake mixes (betty crocker)
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 cups sour cream
2 2/3 cup water
8 egg whites
2 tsp. vailla
2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 cup oil

This makes 2 9", 2 8" and 6 cupcakes icon_smile.gif. The cakes were very high so I probably could have easily made 2 10" and 2 8". Hope this helps!!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 4

actually, reading your post, it could be the cake is not baked when you take it out. a skewer needs to come out clean, and it should be springy.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%