2 Size Of Pillars & Crystal/plastic Questions (Pic Attac

Decorating By -TenderHeart Updated 19 Aug 2005 , 9:19pm by -TenderHeart

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:24am
post #1 of 12

Hi, Everyone--

This is a drawing of something I have in mind, but since I've never used pillars before, I have 2 questions about how to make it happen.

First, the picture:

1.) My first question, also written into the picture icon_smile.gif : How much height will the pillar lose when it gets twisted into the separator plate? I want about 7" in between, but never having used the pillars before, I'm wondering if they lose an inch or more when they're screwed down into the separator plate. I assume they don't lose THAT much height. ??? Could someone explain this?

And my last question, 2.) Do the crystal pillars fit into the regular plastic separator plates? Are all the pillars and separator plates mix and match? (They'll be hidden on this cake, so they don't need to match each other.)

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

11 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 2:31am
post #2 of 12

Can't really answer the questions you have but wanted to get it bumped back up to the top to see if someone else could answer it for you!

-TenderHeart Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:08am
post #3 of 12

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Anyone else?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:12am
post #4 of 12

I don't think the pillars lose any height. I used a fountain underneath my last wedding cake & the pillars were 13 3/4 inches high. There was plenty of room for the fountain. So I think the pillars do not lose any height.

I'm not sure about your 2nd question. I've only used the white pillars on the seperator plates. I haven't used any other kind.

Someone will help you for sure!

-TenderHeart Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 3:26am
post #5 of 12

Thank you, tc. icon_smile.gif

-TenderHeart Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 12

Anyone else? My question again:

"Do the crystal pillars fit into the regular plastic separator plates? Are all the pillars and separator plates mix and match? (They'll be hidden on this cake, so they don't need to match each other.)"

Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TenderHeart

Anyone else? My question again:

"Do the crystal pillars fit into the regular plastic separator plates? Are all the pillars and separator plates mix and match? (They'll be hidden on this cake, so they don't need to match each other.)"

Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

If you're talking about the Wilton products:

The push-in crystal spiked pillars fit with the standard scalloped plates as well as the clear crystal-look plates.
The non-tapered twisted pillars have their own different plates.

The scalloped and crystal look plates have an X-shaped peg that fits into the hollow end of the pillars, so no, they won't lose height.

It looks like you want a smaller cake centered on a big plate and then surrounded by the pillars, and not have the pillars going through the cake. In that case, you'll need a 2-plate setup, and the height between the plates will equal the size of the pillar you use. The 13.5" pillars were made for use with fountains; the next biggest is a 7" and I don't think that'll be large enough for you.

Does this help?

Illy

-TenderHeart Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 12

Illy, yes, that's very helpful, thank you. icon_smile.gif To make sure I understand, though: If I did use the 7" pillars and the two plates, the pillars and plates would still fit/lock together, right? They just wouldn't leave me more than 7" from the top of one cake to the bottom of the plate above it, is that what you're saying? I want at least 7" from the top of the bottom cake to the bottom of the separator plate above it. Will this work?

-TenderHeart Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 12

Oh, or would I then have a maximum of only FIVE inches--with a 2-inch tall cake--between the top of that cake and the bottom of the plate above it? I keep forgetting about the 2" plus decorations the cake itself will take up.

-TenderHeart Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 12

I've seen the 9" pillars....Maybe if I want 7" of space, I should go with the 9" pillars, since the cake will take up 2" of the 9 inches?

(getting confused, want to make sure I get this!) Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TenderHeart

I've seen the 9" pillars....Maybe if I want 7" of space, I should go with the 9" pillars, since the cake will take up 2" of the 9 inches?

(getting confused, want to make sure I get this!) Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

If you want 7" of space between the top of the cake and the top plate, and the cake is 2" thick, then yes, you'll need a 9" pillar.

-TenderHeart Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 12

Ah! Thank you, I understand now. Thanks so much for all your help with this. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%