Nfsc....

Baking By brannendeville Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm by bonniebakes

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 6

OK I made NFSC this weekend, I absolutely LOVED the easy of making them and the no spread factor, but they were bland and not so great on the pallet.

Does any one have a good sugar cookie recipe that will not spread but still tastes good?

5 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 6

I think that it's a matter of taste... I love the consistency of the NFSC too, but I can see why a lot of people think it is bland. I think it is sort of a good thing, though, since cookies with royal icing are very, very sweet ( too sweet for me, at least). So it's nice to have a cookie "base" without a lot of sweetness.

I do add some extra vanilla extract and, as long as there are no allergy issues, I add some almond extract too. That might be something that you want to try, since it gives it some extra flavor.

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 6

I will try that next time around.

What is the normal thickness you would roll them out to?

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 6

I too, agree that the "blandness" of the cookie goes well with the overly sweet royal icing. I roll mine on the thicker side. I don't really know what measurement, sorry. I find that if they are rolled thicker, they stay a little softer when baked and I prefer the taste when softer rather than too crunchy. Almost like a shortbread cookie.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 6

I made some this weekend and added a touch of lemon extract just give it a subtle lemony taste. My kids loved it.

Not sure how thisk they should be but the recipe says it makes almost 5 dozen, I only needed 24 so I halved the recipe thinking I'd get a couple extra, nope, I squeezed 24 out of the batter.

overall a great, easy recipe

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 6

typically I make mine about 1/4 inch thick. But, I have done them thinner or thicker (depending on the result I wanted to get) and they worked fine at every thickness I've tried. I just adjust the cooking time and keep a close eye on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%