Open Bible Cake, Help Needed

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I was hoping someone could kinda explain how to go about making either of these cakes. I figure i could use a bible cake pan but my questions are about how best to apply the 'page' on top etc...
I really like both cakes and am undecided which to do for my neices first communion in a couple of weeks. Any asssistance would be appreciated.
I really like both designs.
LL
LL

4 replies
patticakesnc Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know all the answers but will try...

Yes I would use something to adhere the top page. Water maybe.
I am guessing the corners you are referring to are the page corners? I would wrap them around a pencil and let them dry in the shape you want them to be folded.
The flowers look like they are royal piped.
The chalice is probably a mold. You will just have to look around for one.
The grapes in the corners look like the are just piped with a small tip maybe a 4 or smaller.
I don't think you need to string together the grapes. You should be able to make them adhere to one another with a little water or vanilla. Once they dry they should stick. You could use royal as well to glue them.

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

Yep - what she ^^^^ saidicon_smile.gif
.........Should i add tylose to the fondant to help it hold it's shape at the corners? ......
No need really. Fondant will hold a shape if allowed to dry. As patticakes said, roll the corner around a dowel or pencil and let it set a couple of hrs to dry & hold shape.
.......How do i apply the top page?.....
It's just a sheet of fondant. Lay it over b'cream or whatever you usually use to hold it on any other cake.

......Should i brush the fondant page with something to help it adhere to the fondant underneath? ........
You can - again, b'cream, piping gel, jam or water

.........How did they make the flowers? Royal? .......
It's a bit hard to tell on this 1st (white) cake how those flowers were made.......could easily use royal or air-drying b'cream swirled dropflowers for a similar look.

.....Is there a mold for this type of chalice?........
Sorry, don't know. You could do similar if you have a stemmed wine glass. Lay fondant or gp over it then make the stem seperately.

........ How did they make the grapes in the corners of the board? Should the grapes be made on wires and then strung together?.........
I wouldn't make them on wires. Just pipe them in RI on wax paper or plastic wrap and let dry them pipe a couple of dots of icing on the board & lay them on that icon_smile.gif To pipe a bunch of grapes, size of tip depends on how small you want them but use a round - for those I would guess a tip 3. Start at the end of the bunch....you will be working backwords - from the end of the bunch back to the stem end - pipe a egg/teardrop; at the end of it pipe another on either side of the 1st one; for the 3 row pipe 3 teardrops side by side; next row just two in the middle of those 3; then make 4 side-by-side. Continue like that until the bunch is as long as you want it. Then go back and fill in any spaces there might be by piping a 'grape' on top of the bunch. To finish add a leaf straight out from each side and a small branch in the center of them. These can be added once the bunch is on the board. They will help hold the bunch in place.

sweetcravings Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone for all the great tips. I'll post the cake in a few weeks when i will be completing it.

suz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%