Need Someone To Listen To My Idea.....

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm by KitchenKat

Rhonda19 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 19

I was asked to make a cake for a wedding rehearsal, for my son. I am new to cake decorating, so new that I only make cakes for family and friends.

This wedding rehearsal cake has shook me up! I have such a hard time to sit and make up my own designs, I had finally decided on something for this rehearsal, and the week of the wedding.... found out it was too small. So, I am having to go with something else.

What I decided to do was make a 2 layer, 12 x 18 sheet cake.. Champagne Cake, Strawberry Creme Cheese middle, with Buttercreme Frosting.

For decorating, I was going to use the brides colors of a medium blue and drape fondant over each of the 4 ends. Then take white fondant and make 2 sheets of " paper " and put them over two of the ends, as if the 2 kids were writing each other... and by these lay a feather quill that I made out of fondant. The other 2 ends, make a Celtic " G " for the last initial.

In the middle of the cake I made 2 penguins that are the brides favorite..and dress them like a bride and groom. Then make a small tier and use a 6 inch cake. On this, I am going to take blue fondant and drape over the cake as if its another sheet of paper. Write in white.... " And the two became one " Put the date, along with 2 wedding rings. Then lay a white feather I made on top.

Would anyone like to tell me what they think of this???? I am up for all suggestions, criticisms, etc.....

Thanks for helping me..
Rhonda

18 replies
threematbros Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 19

It sounds beautiful to me. Love the penguins. Be sure and post a pic. Good luck.

costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 19

That sounds really cute...I don't know what else to say, except that we're always our own worst critics, so don't stress yourself out too much about this. I have a feeling that you'll kill yourself trying to get the cake "perfect" then feel like it's not, but when everyone sees it they'll love it.

cakes22 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 19

That sounds really nice & cute. I think it's good that you are incorporating some of the brides likes (penguins).
Can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

KeltoKel Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 19

Wow, two sheet cakes for a rehearsal dinner and it is too small? That feeds over 100 people alone. Your idea sound cute, you could easily add a third layer to feed more people.

jillmakescakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 19

so the idea sound super cute and wonderful.....

but you mentioned that you are new to decorating, so are you comfortable with all of the techniques that you mentioned? I know some people just have a natural gift, so you may be perfectly fine and aware of the advance work this design will take, but I just want to mention it so that you aren't freaking out the week of the rehearsal.

Again, great idea, and if you weren't wanting advice, then just ignore my previous paragraph! thumbs_up.gif

lisa5573 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 19

I think your idea sounds great! I love the idea of the penguins and the rings. I can't wait to see a pic! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

lainalee Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 19

This sounds very cute. But I agree, that is a lot of cake. How many are at the rehersal dinner? Love the idea of the bride and groom penguins.

kookykakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 19

I think this one cute idea. Can't wait to see a pic.

SweetSweetCreations Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 19

Please post pics when you get done the penguins sound so cute.

Carlymoon Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 19

I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. Your ideas some really advanced so that leads me to believe you can definitely pull it off. Good Luck and if you're nervous maybe do a smaller version as a practice just to see if you like it. can't wait to see it!

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 19

Wow.......great ideas but as the other have said, very ambitious for the week of needing it for a beginner.
Hope it all works out and like the others I'm waiting for the pix of this wonderful design.

all4cake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 19

If the penguins are going to be in the middle of the cake, where is the 6" tier going to be placed?

lostincake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 19

I think you have incorporated a lot of great personal details & touches and your son would be proud of you!

susanscakecreations Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

That sounds really cute...I don't know what else to say, except that we're always our own worst critics, so don't stress yourself out too much about this. I have a feeling that you'll kill yourself trying to get the cake "perfect" then feel like it's not, but when everyone sees it they'll love it.

I totally agree ^^^^........we ARE our own worst critics!!!!!!!!
Your idea sounds beautiful, and I know your son and his future wife will love it!!!!!!!
And please post pics!!!!!

Rhonda19 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:29pm
post #16 of 19

Thank you all so very much for the support!!! I had my confidence shook recently.

Last week my husband's boss had a death in his family.... his dad. My hubby wanted me to make a cake, so I carved a cake to look like a cross, and then was going to put easter lillies and rosebuds.

To me, it looked " HORRIBLE"!! and I had a hard time decorating that cake for some reason. It was really a simple idea, I just had a hard time with it.

So again....thanks for the confidence. I'll need it!
Rhonda

Rhonda19 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 2:29pm
post #17 of 19

The wedding is over!! The rehearsal dinner went really well. The people that were there, really flipped over my cake!! So, I was proud!! Looking back, there are some things that I would do differently...but its over now, so....

I made a champagne cake frosted with vanilla buttercreme. I do believe the part that they liked the best was the frosting!! (LOL) One man came up to me and said, I ate the cake first, and then ate my frosting!!!

I posted the pics in my file, so if anyone wants to look that is where they are.

Thanks for the support
Rhonda

Anntee Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #18 of 19

As is often the case, we are our own worse critics. You did a lovely job on the rehearsal dinner cake. Nothing better than a compliment from a guest! icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #19 of 19

The cake looks great. The guest's compliment was the perfect icing in your cake icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%