Cake Recipe Detective Needed!!!! =O)

Baking By noosie Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm by nannie

noosie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 9

Ok guys here is a challenge for you. I am 36 years old but still remember a wedding cake I had when I was about 12! It really left a lasting impression in that I have never had a cake with that type of filling again. I've tried to replicate it but to no avail so I now come to you guys for help.

Looking back it was as if the filling was an entire layer of a crispy, slightly chewy meringue. I've baked large meringue disks to sandwich between layers of cake both with and without a touch of buttercreme but it either turns out too dry or too soggy!

If anyone has any idea what I am describing please let me know. I would love to enjoy this filling again and share it with others.

TIA icon_smile.gif

8 replies
brincess_b Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 9

could it have been cinder toffee, i think that is what it is called? you know, like the stuff inside crunchies. that sets up really hard on the outside but maybe inside a cake, it would ahve gone that bit softer?
good luck!

noosie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 9

I've never heard of cinder toffee but just looked it up. There is a recipe that consists of butter, water, vinegar, sugar, golden syrup (corn syrup?) & baking soda.

I recently visited Canada and purchased something called sponge toffee. I wonder if it is the same thing. It was good but did have a bit of a burnt sugar after taste. I think I have some left so maybe I'll try some in between cake with some buttercreme as well.

Thanks brincess_b!!! I think I am getting closer to my dream filling!!!!

brincess_b Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 9

sounds like the right ingredients, and sounds like sponge toffee could be the same thing.
golden syrup and corn syrup are almost the same thing. i think in the us, you have 3 types of syrup, all we have (without a huge hunt) is golden syrup.

noosie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 9

Have you ever heard it used in a cake filling???

bakers2 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 9

Sounds like dacquoise to me....a nut meringue

noosie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 9

I just looked it up and I think you are right bakers2!!! I found what looks to be a yummy recipe where some sour cream ganache is sandwiched between two disks of the dacquoise. I never made sour cream ganache but it sounds yummy. I know what I'll be trying this weekend.

Thank you!!!!

bakers2 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 9

glad to help - hope it turns out!

nannie Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 9

I found this recipe, maybe it will meet your needs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%