Strawberry Flavoured Frosting

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm by brincess_b

cakes22 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 5

I have a request for strawberry flavoured frosting. It's for a kids b-day party. I have read the recipes that call for frozen strawberries or real strawberries mixed in with a b/c frosting recipe.
Does any one know if the little strawberry seeds are noticable? Or would I be better off using an artifical flavour & colouring?

4 replies
imamommy1205 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 5

The only time I have made it I have dont like you are talking about with regular BC and chopped strawberries. There are seeds in the strawberries, but it didnt IMO make it taste bad. Maybe you could find some stawberry extract? I have never seen any at the grocery store, but I am sure somewhere you can get some.

I have a recipe for whipped frosting using plain gelatin, maybe if you made it with strawberry gelatin that would work?

I have never made it (making it today actually), but here it is if you wanna give it a try.

Whipped Frosting
1/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1) Chill mixing bowl and beaters for at least 15 minutes before using. Place water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and allow to soften 5 minutes.
2) Dissolve gelatin by microwaving for 3 minutes, stirring after every minute. Remove from microwave and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes; gelatin must be liquid but not warm when added to cream.
3) Remove bowl and beaters from refrigerator and pour in cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat together just until beater marks begin to show distinctly.
4) Add gelatin mixture to cream, pouring in a steady stream while beating constantly. Beat until stiff peaks form. Use immediately.

Bethkay Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 5

I just recently made my first batch of strawberry icing, and it turned out much better than I expected. I made my standard vanilla buttercream recipe--using the same amount of vanilla that I usually do, and I added strawberry extract to taste. It took around a tablespoon to flavor enough icing to cover an 8" cake. The imitation extract gave the icing a nice light pink color.

I know there are sources online to buy pure strawberry extract without imitation flavors, but I have to say, we noticed no artificial flavor in the icing when made this way. I used imitation extract because it was all I could locate in the grocery store.

courtney1009 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 5

I take very good quality strawberry jam or preserves and puree it in a food processor. Then I strain it and add it to my SMBC after its done mixing.I just beat it for another minute or two. I don't get any seeds. It is pink though of course. Hope that helps.

brincess_b Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 5

you could pass teh strawberrys through a fine sieve, should catch the seeds. im going to do that later this year with some nice fresh strawberries.
but i have seen strawberry flavouring too, not good extract, just a flavouring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%