Where Do You Purchase Your Ingredients And Supplies?

Business By KookieKris Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm by tiggy2

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 9

I was curious where everyone purchases their ingredients ~ a wholesale store like Sam's or BJ's, a regular grocery store or a discount grocer like Aldi's or Save-a-Lot? icon_confused.gif
I've been trying to compare pricing for all, but I wanted to ask my CC friends too ~ thanks!

8 replies
Karen1534 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen1534 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 9

Try looking in your yellow pages under bakery supply. Here where I'm at "Ohio". Most sell not only to the big bakeries but also to us little guys. All they can say is "We only sell to bakeries est". Right now I bet they'll take all the money they can get, from who ever has it. Also, check to see if you have a "Restaurant Depot" in the area. They are a wholesale place for restaurants. They have some stuff for bakeries. I get my almond paste, flour, sugar and all my boards and boxes there. Also, check for a dairy wholesaler. When I do a lot with cream est. I go there. The bakery wholesale place I go to even has a wonderful buttercream in a 5 gallon pail that I can buy when I'm short on time. Runs about 35.00. Hope this helps.

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 9

I'm in Ohio too!! Can you give me some names of the places you use Karen? Thanks!

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 9

www.dawnfoods.com

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 9

I keep an EXTENSIVE excel file on every product I use .... place of purchase, size of package, cost per pound/ounce/serving/piece, dates of price increases, and a formula to pre-figure what my selling price per unit should be. At a glance I can see the best place to buy each item.

I buy from Sam's, Walmart, Sysco, GFS, Restaurant Equippers (kitchen equipment), Atlas Restaurant Supply (equipment) and misc internet sites. whoever has the best price/product. Sometimes walmart is cheaper per unit than sysco or gfs.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 9

Hey CookiezNCupcakez, I've been checking their stuff out for a while now and wondering.... Do you have experience with their liquid velvetop? I've been wanting to try it out. If so, what's it like? How is it packaged? Carton? Can? Frozen? Not? How shipped? What's their service like? Are they OK with the mega-small-time baker? Thanks very much for any help you can give! I appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 9

Anyone have any information on Dawn Foods and specifically their Velvetop? I'd sure like to know! Thanks!

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 9

Kookie where r u at in Ohio?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

Anyone have any information on Dawn Foods and specifically their Velvetop? I'd sure like to know! Thanks!

I've never used it but it doesn't look like it has a very long shelf life. Have you tried Dixie's Whipped Icing? http://www.dixiesicing.com/ It's shelf stable for months and longer if refrigerated, tastes good and is easy to smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%