Butter Cream Box Cake With Fondant Lid

Decorating By StellaLuna Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm by sugarshack

StellaLuna Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:29am
post #1 of 8

I am looking for someone who has done this! I have a request for a bunch of Tiffany boxes but the she hates fondant! I am thinking the only way to do this is put a fondant lid on the box! I am not sure how to make a butter cream lid? Has anyone did this before? If so, please explain how and send photos! If you have iced a cake in butter cream and added a fondant lid/bow, please share the mishaps or cautions with me so I know what I am in for! Please attach photos as well. I have to make at least 12 boxes and I want them to look stunning! Thanks for all your help!

7 replies
springlakecake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:47am
post #2 of 8

I just did this one last week. I chilled the buttercream well and then added fondant. I then trimmed it off to look like a lid. Or you could make the lids out of gumpaste panels and add them to the buttercream.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1344408

pieceacake830 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 8

I find when I try to match colors in 2 different mediums (ie butttercream and fondant) you can never get an exact match of color. They are always a shade or two "off". I think I would do the entire box in fondant. They can always pull it off the cake when they go to eat it. I find more and more people actually like fondant, so they may just leave it on!

I'd love to see pictures when your done! icon_biggrin.gif

bakery_chick Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:55am
post #4 of 8

Stella,
Don't worry it is not as complicated as it sounds. I have done this before. I am sending you to my website gallery there are a lot of pics of bc cakes with fondant bows. http://www.sweetaddictions.biz/portfolio/Celebration_Cakes/index.htm
When I get to work, I will post more pics.
The biggest problem I have with fondant is refrigeration. Fondant doesn't like to be refrigerated, but I use IMBC and usually refrigerate my cakes. I have left a fondant bow too long in the fridge (10 hours) and it has collapsed and turned into a gooey mess. I usually do the bows about 1-2 hours prior to pick-up.

tiggy2 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 8

I don't know when you need these cakes but sugarshack's "Boxes & Bows" DVD takes you step by step through a buttercream box cake with a fondant lid and bow. This DVD is worth every penny!

noosie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 8

How about using dyed white chocolate clay. I love using chocolate clay and it is pretty easy to work with. You just need corn syrup and chocolate. I used it to wrap my Chocolate Berry Tower cake in my gallery. I've never dyed it before, but don't think it would be a problem at all and it is very tasty!!!

Let me know if you would like to try and I would be more than happy to post the recipe.

Good Luck!!

noosie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 8

Actually, I think you can even use the blue candy melts sold at Michaels for the blue Tiffany shade rather than tinting the white chocolate...

sugarshack Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 8

i have done many BC cakes with fondant lids. I do not do BC lids . You can see them in my gallery. U can mke the lids using an overlay right onto the cake, or make dried panels ahead of time and assemble the lid right on the cake.

Thanks tiggy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%