I Think I've Bitten Off More Than I Can Chew :(

Decorating By kayla1505 Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 2:08am by luv2cook721

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:23am
post #1 of 23

A long time close friend of my moms found out that I make cakes.

So she wants me to make a grandsons 2nd birthday cake , so I said sure

At 1st they wanted me 2 make a handy manny cake like this one

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1334181

and I was llike ok I can do that.

but now she changed her mind and she wants this

http://www.target.com/Handy-Manny-Lets-Work-Figure/dp/B0015YW238/sr=1-9/qid=1239682087/ref=sr_1_9/190-3814752-6432466?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&rh=k%3Ahandy%5Fmanny&page=1

on top of a 10" cake.

I was thinking of doing it out of rice krispies treats.

The problem is , I've never worked with that before.

Anyone have any tips or tutorials??

I'm scared, I dont want to let them down.

The cake isnt due till 25th so how soon can I start working with the rice krispies??

Someone please help

22 replies
chedaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chedaw Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #2 of 23

You mean, you have to make that figurine and the tools? why not just put the bought figure on top of the cake?

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:31am
post #3 of 23

Kayla - 1st off, don't panic! After looking at the picture, I think it would be much easier to form it out of gumpaste/fondant mix than RK. The body assembly is very similar to what Aine2 teaches in her tutorials and could easily be adapted from her figures. The tutorials are not very expensive and she gives so much description that even I felt confident trying out figures (I've made 2 so far). I am strictly a hobby baker (for g-kids only) so that's saying a lot.

I can't find her webpage right off the bat, but if you're interested in going that route, let me know and I will dig it up for you.

Good luck - and relax - you can do this!

Puppylove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puppylove Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:33am
post #4 of 23

I made this skate out of Rice Krispies for my son's 12th birthday. I molded it 2weeks before the party and over the course of the 2 weeks I added all the fondant coverings and painted it with vodka diluted food colours. As long as they aren't going to eat it you can do it as early as I did. The kids at his party new it was just for decoration. Good Luck and I can't wait to see the finished product.
LL

NanaFixIt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:34am
post #5 of 23

OMG, Kayla! I just went to look at your cake pics and I'm left wondering...what on earth are you worrying about? You already have the knack for making figures! You can totally adapt your talent to making Manny - and it will wow them all! Just remember that we put our expectations much higher than any of our recipients ever do!

Go for it, Girl!

chedaw Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:35am
post #6 of 23

You mean, you have to make that figurine and the tools? why not just put the bought figure on top of the cake?

chedaw Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #7 of 23

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:44am
post #8 of 23

I agree that you should probably just make the figurine out of fondant or gumpaste and not rice krispies. I tend to think rice krispies are for larger items that would be too difficult to make out of entirely gumpaste. This figurine is small enough and detailed enough that gumpaste just seems easier.

FYI, I would suggest using fondant or gumpaste with some tylose (or CMC powder- it's the same thing) mixed in. It'll make it a lot stronger so it doesn't crack and buckle under its own weight. Good luck!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:50am
post #9 of 23

Kayla, I too went to look at your work and I agree you should not worry, you can do this. Good luck.

kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:50am
post #10 of 23

aww thank you NanaFixIt for the compliments

I thought about doing it as just a gumpaste figure, but they want it to be the size if the toy,and its like 10 inches tall

NanaFixIt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:50am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tguegirl

FYI, I would suggest using fondant or gumpaste with some tylose (or CMC powder- it's the same thing) mixed in. It'll make it a lot stronger so it doesn't crack and buckle under its own weight. Good luck!

Good call, tguegirl - I wanted to add that, but couldn't remember what it was called (and was too lazy to go look!). I've always operated better with a 2nd brain on the job with me... hahaha

NanaFixIt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:54am
post #12 of 23

Do you know why they want it to be 10" tall? How big will the cake be overall?

It just seems to me that a smaller gumpaste/fondant (w/tylose or cmc) would be a keepsake afterwards, but one made out of RK would have to be discarded...

kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:57am
post #13 of 23

its a 10 in round

in the picture the toy looks small but its pretty big

kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:58am
post #14 of 23

the tool box and the tools im gonna make out of gumpaste cuz they are small, but the actual handy manny toy isnt

NanaFixIt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:02am
post #15 of 23

Just one layer (well 2 w/filling) at 10"? I still think doing it 10" tall would completely overpower your cake...

You know, often people don't know what all the options are and get an idea in their head that really isn't feasible to recreation. Maybe you could sell the idea of having a 'keepsake topper' in order to offer a better product overall. Usually when I spend a lot of time on a figure, I place it on some sort of fondant/gumpaste base so that the whole thing can be lifted and kept afterwards...just an idea.

kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:07am
post #16 of 23

I do 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling

I was thinking of maybe doing it 6in tall and not 10in, I dont want it to be tp big compared to the cake. but thats still to big to be done in gumpaste right?

NanaFixIt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:13am
post #17 of 23

No, but you'd need plenty of drying time - and patience in putting it together. Build the body slowly and allow drying time before adding additional parts.

What if you created a topper base of a hardwood floor with Manny, the toolbox and the additional tools (see link below) laying around the floor?

http://www.target.com/Handy-Mannys-Toy-Power-Tool/dp/B0016J2PMU/qid=1239685681/ref=br_1_6/185-9942021-7432244?ie=UTF8&node=695597011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

I found these are not part of what's in the toolbox and could be added for that extra OOMPH that'll knock their socks off!

Not to nag you, but I still say - go smaller, add more detail, and WOW 'em in a way they weren't expecting!

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:35am
post #18 of 23

Hey, if u decide to do RKT i have little tuto. I dont know if I should dare to post it here, but I will anyway. It might help u and if not, it wont hurt anybody right? icon_smile.gif
So what I would do if I will have to do guy like that is make a head from RKT and torso from RKT.
And after cover it in fondant. For face few extra steps before covering with fondant. What i do is i model the face straight on the RKT as is shown on the pictures. When I will have everything covered I will put the body and head together. For legs i will use long skewers stuck in the torso and modeled over it with gumpaste (u know what I mean right). I do mostly heads for 3D cakes in this way. If u wanna see what I am talking about u can check them here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1345615

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1319647

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1211110

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1245929

And here is the tuto how I did the bunny (well it look like a mouse to me) cake. The other ones I made the same way. For best coverage I do two layers of fondant so u cant see the bumpiness of the RKT.

Ok I hope I helped somehow icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Lidunka25 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:36am
post #19 of 23

oops the tuto is backwards (blushing)

kayla1505 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:52am
post #20 of 23

wow thank you lidunka25!

that looks so great.

I'm gonna try to make it this week and see how it comes out, that way if it looks horrible I can come up with a new plan

I've never even made RKT, anyone have a recipe?

Lidunka25 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:03am
post #21 of 23

Rice Krispy Treats
(here is recipe but honestly I eyeball it)
1/4 cup butter
1 (10 oz., about 40) pkg. regular marshmallows or 3 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal

Melt butter and marshmallow in microwave (about 2 min. or so). Stir together until smooth add rice krispies and mix together, untill well combined. Oil your hands and form a shape which you would like to have. And squeeze and squeeze and squeeze so its firm. Cover in aluminum foil so it stays in shape u want and let dry over night. If u will do just square or circle, use regular pan in which u will spread it.... thats it icon_wink.gif

kayla1505 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #22 of 23

ok so i changed my plans, I made a gumpaste figure instead because my practice RKT didnt come out so good.

but she liked the cake anyway icon_smile.gif ill post a picture later

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #23 of 23

I agree with everyone, you are very talented and will come up with something that will amaze! Your cakes are awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%