Uugh... Wording For A Tasting

Business By aligotmatt Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm by bakery_chick

aligotmatt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:35am
post #1 of 6

So, I have this potential client...

She wants a wedding cake to serve 20, not saving any, must have at least 2 tiers.

I tell her that's fine, my minimum is $200, a 2 tier cake serves a minimum of 30, and we can work in some gumpaste flowers or something to bring her up to my minimum.

She seems good with it. We email back and forth, determined the design she wanted, blah blah blah. So I say, that's great, what kind of flavors are you thinking about. Then she just emailed back and said, well, we're thinking about these flavors... .... ... and after we get up there for a tasting we can settle that.

Now, I know I said I would do a cake for $200, but I really do not want to take a spare second to meet with this girl. Just making a cake for $200 is enough, ya know? My husband says I should say something about hey, for this size cake, there is a fee for tastings... but everything in my head sounds rude.

I know a lot of you are magic with words, help a cake lady out!!

TIA!

5 replies
tonedna Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 6

We never charge for tastings unless they are specialty cakes.. So I can't help you with this one..This sounds like an Indydebi comeback...lol...Im going to bump you..
Edna icon_smile.gif

aligotmatt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 6

Well, it's just that I'm a home baker. I don't have cake sitting around for people. Every sample is baked for the person tasting it. So to spend time shopping and baking for such a low priced cake seems a waste to me...

txsteph Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 6

Tell her ... Due to your tight schedule you reserve tastings to cakes that serve a min of ___ people. Though for those who do not know what flavor they want and do not meet the tasting requirements, you do offer a mini tasting for $___. A mini tasting includes __ # of flavors to be tasted. And covers tastings for 2 people. There is an up charge of $__ per extra added flavor, and an up charge of $__ per extra person.
You would love to be able to host tastings for every one of your clients, but it is just not feasible. So you offer the mini tastings to those who request it, but do not meet the requirements. You look forward to working with her .. blah blah. Please contact me with a preferred date and time for your mini tasting and we will get it scheduled as close to that as possible.
And then your preference of cash, check etc ...

indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #5 of 6

well, you have a couple of conflicting points.

I tend not to do tastings for under 75 servings (100 if they start to irritate me!). Which means I don't do samplings for anything under $250. But since you have charged a $200 minimum for 20 servings, she may feel "If I'm spending TEN DOLLARS A SERVING......!" So you need to determine a balance between small cakes and min. buy.

Also, it sounds like she plans on "tasting" all of your cake flavors so she can decide which flavor she wants. Is that your concept of what a tasting is? Because my concept of a tasting/sampling is they get to taste samples of my baking skill to see if they like my SKILL ... my lemon cakes tastes just as good as my white cake except it will taste like lemon. I do not view a tasting/sampling as a time that they get to cruise the menu, eating all 33 flavors so they can end up ordering the vanilla.

You need to decide what your policy is, first, then just convey it to her. I tell people in the email that confirms our appt: "I'm not a restaurant where I can just go into the kitchen and scoop up whatever happens to be cooking that day. The foods for your appt are prepared special just for you ...." You're not a bakery where, like Sylvia Weinstock, you can go in the back and cut a sample of 5 or 6 different cakes that are sitting on the shelf.

bakery_chick Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 6

I do custom tastings, and they get 4 flavor choices. On a wedding of this size I would probably pair it down to 2, but if you don't want to do a tasting, don't. Simply tell her your policy is to not hold tastings for events under XXX and leave it at that. Be aware that you may lose the business. It depends on what is important to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%