Another "how Much Would You Charge" Post

Decorating By LJJohnson Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm by debster

LJJohnson Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,

I'm a hobby decorator, and I only make cakes for family and friends and don't ever charge for them (because I always get to eat them too). I made this cake for my niece's baptism, and put a lot of work into it and think it's one of my best cakes. However, I don't believe my in-law's really realize how much this cake would have cost if they would have bought it from a real bakery, or how much work I actually put into it.

The cake is a french vanilla WASC cake made in the Wilton two-mix open book pan, the icing is the Very Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe from this website. The flowers are also swiss meringue buttercream, I had made the flowers earlier in the day and froze them so I could remove them from the wax paper and place them on the cake.

So, from all of you pros out there, I am curious if I would have charged for this cake, how much would it have been?

7 replies
debster Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:52am
post #2 of 8

I'm from rural Ohio so pay isn't great and neither am I a pro, but here in my neck of the woods (cheapsville) 60.00 tops I did one for a Graduation with fondant lettering and wouldn't of gotten more than 60.00

2txmedics Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #3 of 8

Your right, people dont realize that the cakes they get from us are considered "custom cakes" and you just cant get them at the local grocery store. Not to mention that they are fresh.

I would agree and put a 60.00 tag on this one. Then again, Im told I should be charging more for some of my cakes. Automatically custom cake is 50.00, and then per slice is what Ive learned in here.

Hope this helps. Nice cake!!!

1nanette Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #4 of 8

For me, anything that takes a double recipe or two mixes begins at 50.00. Add on's such as the bible verse... upcharge of 10.00.

patticakesnc Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 8

I agree...$60 is around what I was thinking as well........ever noticed how you can price someone else's cake but not your own??? I just posted a "how much would you charge" the other day on my cake!

imakecakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 8
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

........ever noticed how you can price someone else's cake but not your own???

That is so true!!!

Love your cake, your flowers are beautiful!!

robinscakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 8

$50-$60 sounds about right for around here.

debster Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 8

Wow , I'm not as cheap as I thought I was, icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I always think I'm under bidding when I see what some get for cakes on here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%