Looooooooooog Distance.

Decorating By gypsei Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 2:01am by jamhays

gypsei Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 5

An old friend of mine from HS is getting married in Portland on August 1st and I offered to do the 4 tiered cake. Well, I live In Montana. My question is, how would you go about this? I was thinking of baking at least 2 or 3 of the tiers here at home and getting plastic storage containers, wrapping the cakes super good and put some dry ice on top. I won't ice them until I get to OR. Or would it be ok if I did? I am probably driving 3 hours to meet up with her parents, then ride with them probably another 12 hours to portland. What you all you super awesome, full of great ideas people think?

4 replies
pieceacake830 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #2 of 5

I would bake everything the day before the trip, and bring all cakes, decorations, flowers and fondant/tools or buttercream with me, and decorate after I got to Portland. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldnt want to travel that distance, then transfer cars, then another 12 hours in a car with a cake thats already done. No way!!! The thought of it gives me a migrane! icon_cry.gif

MnSnow Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't think you would need to ice them for the trip. If you froze them before and packed them into a cooler, they should be ok for the trip

indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #4 of 5

As far as icing down and/or freezing:

I dont' refrigerate my cakes to start with. I've read how people run the A/C on super high for over 20 minutes before they even put the cakes inside and I never do that either. I load the cakes, start the van, turn on the air and pull away. I never put them in coolers, never freeze them ahead of time, never "get them really cold", etc.

Delivered a fully decorated wedding cake long distance for a nephew this way and it made it just fine.

jamhays Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 5

I live in TX & took my Brother's wedding cake to St.Louis. I baked everything @ home & put the base coat of icing on each layer. I put each layer in it's own box. Hauled them in the back of my Grand Cherokee all the way up there. When I got there, I decorated & stacked everything together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%