Meringue Powder In Smbc

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm by tashistation

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone tried substituting meringue powder in Swiss Meringue Buttercream? Particularly 'The well dressed cake' recipe??

7 replies
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:39am
post #2 of 8

*****bump*****

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 8

Can anyone help?? I really need an answer to this question....I have two cakes waiting to be iced.

drakegore Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #4 of 8

hi!
i don't have an answer for you on your specific question, but if egg safety is the reason you wish to use meringue, real egg whites are safe if you heat the eggs and sugar to 160 degrees. this takes about 3-4 minutes. if that is not the reason and that is no help at all, lol, at least i can bump your post back up.
diane

gerripje Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #5 of 8

I've never tried, but if you can whip them up like egg whites, it just might work?? Meringue powder is supposed to be just dried egg whites, isn't it?? Does your meringue powder have directions as to how much water you need to add to equal one egg white?? Not sure if this will be helpful to you or not! Good luck!!

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

hi!
i don't have an answer for you on your specific question, but if egg safety is the reason you wish to use meringue, real egg whites are safe if you heat the eggs and sugar to 160 degrees. this takes about 3-4 minutes. if that is not the reason and that is no help at all, lol, at least i can bump your post back up.
diane

No, i was just asking to see if anyone had done it....if the recipe would come out the same?

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

I've never tried, but if you can whip them up like egg whites, it just might work?? Meringue powder is supposed to be just dried egg whites, isn't it?? Does your meringue powder have directions as to how much water you need to add to equal one egg white?? Not sure if this will be helpful to you or not! Good luck!!

It's the wilton brand and it does have directions on how to use in place of egg whites.

tashistation Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 8

I'm interested in this too. I've got a big tub of williams sonoma meringue powder and it says "our powder is a clever shortcut for recipes that call for italian or swiss meringue. Just add water and blend to the desired consistency. the result is an exceptionally stable meringue that rivals the results of the labor intensive traditional method." I don't find the traditional method *that* labor intensive but it could be cool to use this when I don't have eggs on hand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%