Glycerin?

Decorating By CourtneyJean Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm by tonedna

CourtneyJean Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:31am
post #1 of 13

Hello my name is Courtney and i am new to cake central.

i printed Michele Foster's Fondant recipe posted by Sugarflowers, but could not figure out where to purchase one of the ingredients 'glycerin'. Finally i called a local pharmacy and they sold me a bottle but advised me to be cautious about eating it because the bottle says that it is a 'skin protectant/skin softer'. The Drug facts on the side of the bottle talks about using it prevent chapped, cracked or windburned skin and lips.

am i going crazy or did i buy the right thing?

12 replies
Michellers Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #2 of 13

Do you have a Michael's nearby? That's where I get my glycerin. Or a local cake supply store? If not, you may have to check out an online cake supply for it. I wonder what the difference is between the pharmacy glycerin and the ingredient glycerin. Anyways, WELCOME to cakecentral!

malyn118 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 13

Hi, I just made my first batch of MFF. Both Michaels near me had run out of glycerin. I happend to come by a store called Sur La Table, which is a cooking supply store and they have it there. I just checked on their website and they have a lot of locations across the U.S. Here is there website. http://www.surlatable.com

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:17am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyJean

Hello my name is Courtney and i am new to cake central.

i printed Michele Foster's Fondant recipe posted by Sugarflowers, but could not figure out where to purchase one of the ingredients 'glycerin'. Finally i called a local pharmacy and they sold me a bottle but advised me to be cautious about eating it because the bottle says that it is a 'skin protectant/skin softer'. The Drug facts on the side of the bottle talks about using it prevent chapped, cracked or windburned skin and lips.

am i going crazy or did i buy the right thing?

Hi Courtney! Welcome!!! I too have been having trouble finding glycerin where i live. I bought a bottle from a pharmacy and it said it was for dry skin/chapped lips(They had a spot for regular glycerin, but didnt have any in stock)...I thought "maybe i can use this instead".....I got home and smelled it!!!!....oh, no!!! there is NO WAY i can use this stuff in my fondant!!! It smelled strongly lke soap! ......I would suggest you get it online if you don't have a craft store nearby....that's what i plan to do next time, lol!

CourtneyJean Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:39am
post #5 of 13

thank you guys for all your help. after i saw how much the cake i want for my sisters baby shower was going to cost, i decided to make it my self. i was wondering if fondent and MMF was the same thing, so im glad that you posted that comment. thanks again to all. ill post a pic of my first cake when its finished! im so excited to find a forum with crafty people like me. icon_biggrin.gif

pastryjen Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:56am
post #6 of 13

Fondant and MMF are similar but not the exact same.

BitsnBites Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 13

I also bought yesterday a bottle of glycerin at Soppers drugmart (pharmacy). I checked it and i didn't say anything about not ingesting it. So I tasted the Wilton Glycerin and the pharmacy one a,d they both tasted exactly the same and had the same texture. The Wilton is a little bit thicker and stronger but it is almost undetectable. They both were gross. Plus, I didn't get sick.

But still, if anyone knows if there is a reason not to use the pharmacy one, I would appreciate it.

poohsmomma Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 13

I posted the same question on another thread, and had a reply that the glycerin that I got in the pharmacy was the same as the Wilton stuff. I used it and nobody died.

Sugarflowers Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 13

The glycerin that the public can get in pharmacies, Michael's, or a health food store is vegetable glycerin. It is used in many, many products that we all use every day. It is safe, it's not something to be ingested alone just as baking soda or baking powder shouldn't be and wouldn't be eaten by itself.

There is another type of glycerin. This one is petroleum based. It is very tightly controlled and a business must have a very specific license to get it. Trust me, you would know the difference if you ever smelled it. There is no mistaking it for something you would put in any food or lotion.

Don't worry about the glycerin that you get at the store. However, if it has a strong odor it's probably not a good idea to use it. I have multiple bottles of glycerin and only one smells a little like soap. The other bottles have no odor. I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell so I use this a LOT when it comes to food. icon_smile.gif

HTH

Michele

ninatat Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 13

don't know how to spell, i've never heard of anyone using liquid, i get mine from michaels or jo-ann's for gumpaste , i've made alot of fondant, i love the mm it's very inexpensive, 1 bag of minature mm's, 1 bag of con sugar, 1 teaspoon water for marshmallows, micro, 30 sec, another 30 till smooth , and that's it. just be sure to grease you work area, and your hands i forgot once what a mess and i live alone so no one could help me, won't do that again. other than that i had no problem, i will put a little gumpaste in it if i'm making flowers. mine doesn't call for glycerin

AverageMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 13

If you are just starting, I highly recommend using Marshmallow fondant. It is cheap, easy (VERY!!) to make, and yummy. I can make a batch in under 30 minutes, and it hasn't failed me yet.

cserwa Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 13

I have read a few thread on this subject, and the general consensus seems to be that there are two kinds of glycerin. One is super poinsonour and you need a special license to even buy it, so you would definitely know without a shadow of a doubt that you were buying it. The other is the type sold at Wal-Mart, pharmacies, and craft stores like Michaels. Michaels just charges way more because they figure cake people will figure they can only get it at Michaels. I bought a large container at Wal-Mart (by the band-aids) for 2.99, and I spent 2.99 at Michaels on a container that only had about 1/10 as much in it! It is absolutely the same. HTH.

tonedna Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #13 of 13

I agree with Michelle...the glycerine used for food doesn't have any odor too it.. Then again I don't buy mine in a pharmacy..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%