Rental Kitchens--Who's Willing To?

Business By lhayes1976 Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 5:10am by sjholderman

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 7

Getting my own kitchen ready is taking much longer than expected. I need to rent for a short while. What types of places are more open to rental--how are churches? I've only contacted one so far and they acted like they didn't have clue what I was talking about.

6 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 7

I've wondered the same thing too. What about calling your health department and asking them if they have any ideas or recommendations on who might be open to the idea of renting their kitchen. Good luck! Hope you can find something that will work for you!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #3 of 7

Hi...I was in the exact same boat. I'm doing all cash...so basically I'm working on my kitchen as I get the funds.

I did a google search for commercial kitchen rental + my city. I emailed everyone that came up in the search, asked community centers, etc.

I met a few restaurant owners that offered me their kitchens..but they either flaked and never responded back to me....or wanted to sell my products and make money that way on top of me paying them. That didnt sound like a deal for me either since it's not my business vision.

You might even have to go the proposal route so they can see how it will benefit them financially.

I found a place about a year later. I know that's a long time. I got my license LAST week. It was a very long road, but I was able to finally a get a license.

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:33am
post #4 of 7

Good question! I was playing with this idea, and I was wondering if anyone doing this has any advice on how to handle insurance, licensing, and health inspections when you rent.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:40am
post #5 of 7

I didn't have to get inspected b/c the kitchen I'm renting already was on file with current inspections, so I got my license that day. It took about 30 minutes from the time I walked in, to when I left.

I'm doing insurance now...so no comment on that yet. Same with the food handler stuff.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:45am
post #6 of 7

Someone recently posted a site with listings of commercial kitchen space for rent. You could plug in zip and see for your area.

Hopefully this will get some notice and the peeps who know what I'm talking about will come on and give the link.

It wasn't feasible for me, in my area. I'm way too slow and the rent was way too high. I don't even see how I could break even.

Maybe pricing is more reasonable in your area, or if you're faster, or have a big enough client space, something like that might work for you.

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:10am
post #7 of 7

I'm pretty sure I don't do enough cakes to make it feasible, but I'd still like to know my options. Maybe I can convince some sucker to let me rent by the hour icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%