Help---Please

Decorating By believer Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm by FromScratch

believer Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 8

I HAVE A CAKE DO SATURDAY. MY FIRST TIER CAKE. IT NEED TO FEED 100 PEOPLE. HOW DO I ATTACH SILK FLOWERS. CAN I JUST STICK THEM IN? MY TIERS WILL BE 12 AND 8. WITH PILLARS.

7 replies
Ariginal Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 8

i use royal icing to attach my flowers to my cake... although in saying that i dont use silk or fresh flowers on my cakes either they are usually all handmade icing ones. sorry cant be of more help

FromScratch Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 8

No you can't just stick them in as they could be dirty and the plastic they are made from is likely not food safe. You could insert the ends into straws or get some posy picks.

mom2owen1 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 8

i have just stuck them in before. i made sure there were no loose plastic pieces that would come off when the flowers are pulled out.

have fun!

notjustcake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 8

I never have done this but what I imagine is to wrap the stems from the silk flowers with floral tape and stick to cake, the tape protects the cake from the plastic, you can't glue flowers to buttercream with royal icing, the grease from the buttercream might have a melting reaction with buttercream hopefully someone posts a better answer

Molly2 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 8

jkalman

I love the straw idea I have never used silk or plastic flowers but I have made the gum paste using wire Thank you for the idea

Molly

believer Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the replies. I will try the straws. This is a free cake and they keep changing things on me. So, I was thinking of using silk flowers. Doing a 8, 10 and 12 with pillars. Will this look okay?

FromScratch Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 8

For 100 servings I'd do a 6-9-12... it will look more proportional. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%