Timeline Help Please

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 2:03am by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 4

Hello icon_smile.gif

I am making a cake for a friend.

They will be eating it on Saturday. BUT they want it on Thursday night.

There is going to be alot of icing, and I am scared of just leaving it to do on Thursday. Because I am quite sure I will get it all done and it will be screwed up.

I am doing a reverse transfer of buttercream icing.

Now, I will be home today. and then again on Tuesday. Wend is out, except that night. and that would be fine, but I am so scared I will screw it up. and if I screw it up wend night, I only have until thursday to get it right.

Can I do my icing now, ?? how soon can I make the cake? It is going to just be a chocolate cake. And there are lots of differnt colors of icing, I would hate for them to bleed together. I can freeze the icing transfer. I do have enough room for a cookie sheet. icon_smile.gif But how long can it be frozen?
Before it becomes so brittle that it wont transfer?

I COULD borrow a freezer, but honestly, cooking the cake is the least of my worries. Can I bake it, decorate it, freeze it and then get it out on Thursday morning? would it screw it up terribly bad? that way if the icing looks like crap I have a few more days to work on it?

Oh and since I am doing differnt colors, I need to wait for the icing to dry between each color change right? on the transfer?

As if thats not enough, I have 4 kids, baseball three nights this week, a Luncheon and grocery shopping, plus I have to make a cake for my son for this weekend, and my dad is coming in. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
tootie0809 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 4

I don't see why you couldn't bake, torte, fill on one night. The regrigerate it until the next night. Completely decorate it the next night. Then just freeze it until Thursday and get it out of the freezer a few hours before they need it. It shoudl have time to thaw and you should be fine. I've frozen completely decorated cakes before, even with BC transfers, and I personally have never had any problems.

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #3 of 4

Go for it honicon_smile.gif Just do as the other poster said. It will be fine.
When you fz it put it in a cake box, then put that into a big plastic bag. When you remove it from the fzr leave it in the plastic for at least an hour - probably 2 if possible then leave it in the box until p/u. It should be fine.

chellescountrycakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 4

Thank y'all!! icon_smile.gif

I started doing the transfer tonight. Will bake the cake tomorrow and get it done icon_smile.gif

I appriciate the responses and sorry I sounded like an idiot. I was doing 36 baseball cupcakes, worried about that cake, dealing with a 4 yo vs 17 mo meltdown and trying to find my sons present that didnt come in on the truck to Gander Mountain like it was supposed to!

But Thanks, y'all have lifted a load off my shoulders. I wouldnt even do the cake, it was supposed to be for NEXT week, but I had promised.... and of course, my sons birthday was today and his party was supposed to be last weekend and not THIS weekend. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%