Wedding Mints

Decorating By cakebakinmom Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 8:14pm by marccrand

cakebakinmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebakinmom Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I am new to this and I need your help. I just had someone ask me to make little mints for their wedding. You know the kind that are made out of the chocolate melts with the mint flavoring. And I have no clue how much to charge. Do I charge by the mint, for the supplies plus my time or what?

7 replies
MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 8

I make cream cheese mints for weddings and I charge 11 cents a mint. They are cheap to make, but are time consuming.

cakebakinmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebakinmom Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 8

Want to share your recipe?

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 8

I've only done wedding mints with cream cheese "dough", not chocolate. I dipped some cookies in chocolate I flavored with mint oil for Christmas, which tasted really good. Unless there is a recipe I'm not familiar with, I would just add some LorAnn peppermint oil to some melted chocolate and use molds.

I have weighed my molded chocolates, to find out how much each of them weigh, then multiplied that weight by the price per pound for the chocolate. That would be your cost, plus packaging boxes, bags, bows, etc. I use a squeeze bottle vs a spoon to fill the molds quickly.

I would then see how many you can make in an hour, and figure that into how much you would like to pay yourself per hour. Then add your cost of materials and ingredients.

Hope that helps some icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleH

I make cream cheese mints for weddings and I charge 11 cents a mint. They are cheap to make, but are time consuming.

WOW! $.11 per mint, that's only $11 per 100 mints! How much time does that take you?

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 8

I've been asked to do the same thing and so I was glad to see this question posted. I think they are pretty time consuming to make....depends on how many "mints"/mold, how many molds you have, and how long they take to harden so you can dump them out and begin again. The lady that asked me to do them thought 35-40 dollars seemed fair to do 150 hats and boots....seemed like it will take way more time than a couple of hours? She would be providing molds and ingredients......hmmm........

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 8

I use the mold that makes 5 roses at a time. You just roll the dough into a ball, roll around in sugar, then press into the mold & pop them out. It sounds like it is time consuming-don't get me wrong, it is, but like I said before they are super cheap to make and they don't really take too awful long to make. I have 1000 to make for a wedding next weekend. I just made my dough up and it's chilling in the fridge. It's hard to time myself because I have 3 little people who interupt alot! icon_smile.gif

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 8

Just be sure to note there are two different types of "mints".
1. Cream cheese based - cream cheese blended with powdered sugar and flavoring, pressed into an individual flexible mold.
2. Candy melt based - candy melts melted with flavoring and poured into a rigid mold - usually several of the same molds to a sheet.

I've done some of each but am not an expert on either one, just wanted to make sure you realize (you probably do) that some brides only know of one and you might need to check which ones they mean. Are you pricing apples or oranges?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%