Gorgeous Ostrich "flapper" Feathers In Colors For

Decorating By Teekakes Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm by fiddlesticks

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 13

This past week I had a Sweet 16 cake to make that required the use of large jet black Ostrich feathers (aka Flapper Feathers) as part of the cake top. You can see it here if you want to see the feathers on it, http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1346468
I looked in many places across the Houston area and could not find any so I began looking elsewhere and found a lady that has them available in many colors and various lengths of the highest quality.

You can view her Ostrich Feathers by clicking on the link below, or, you can email her with your specific size and color info at

[email protected] .

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/unicorn0170

Her name is Pam and I can not say enough about her excellent customer service. She's fast too. I ordered my feathers on Friday early afternoon, she shipped that afternoon and they were in my hands on Monday! Very reasonable prices and they are packaged so the feathers will not get bent or messed up.
This was my first order from her and I do not know her at all so no personal plugs going on here, just passing along an excellent source of Ostrich Feathers to you. icon_smile.gif

Lea

12 replies
fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 13

I love that big ole feather on your beautiful cake !

Teekakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 13

Hey Diane! icon_biggrin.gif
Her feathers are gorgeous! Wish all of you could touch one and see them in person. The ones on the cake I made are actually turned around backwards because of her lighting the candles. Had the feathers been turned forward the candles would not have been the only things flaming!! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 13

icon_lol.gif Hey Lea, I was wondering that even about the candles, what happens to the fondant when she lights the candles ?
icon_confused.gif

Teekakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 13

I don't know what will happen if the flame hits the gumpaste. Probably start burning it like a torch does sugar on the top of creme brulee? Maybe? Hmmm, ok, now you know I am going to go burn a piece of the gumpaste to see what happens to it! icon_lol.gif I have a few pieces of the gumpaste left over from that cake to experiment on!

BRB with results!! icon_biggrin.gif Then I have to get ready to leave for a little while.

Teekakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 13

Ok, so I got a leftover star and put a match to the top of it and it began turning black immediately then actually got a flame going on it about like the match did. It smells like I have been roasting marshmallows in here! icon_biggrin.gif

Gotta git going and outta here to run my errands. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 13

how fun.......wonder if you can just stick a wick inside gumpaste in the future and forget about making a cavity for the candles LOL
by the way, I love that cake!!!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 13

KHalstead.. Hey great idea! So we can now make fondant candles for cake toppers and they already have a wick made into them.
You know those whimsy ones!
Awesome !

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 13

right!!! That would be so cool!

Teekakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks! Glad you like the cake!

The flame on the star didn't burn to long on its own. However, if a wick was stuck down into the fondant/gumpaste and as long as the wick was burning the fondant/gumpaste would too.
I just loved the way it smelled like roasting marshmallows!! icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 13

Oh, I think we have a new product to offer ! LOL!!!

Teekakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:00am
post #12 of 13

OK, so I have some wicks because I make candles too. I will wrap up some of this gumpaste around one of the wicks, let it dry for a few days and then light it to see what happens! This is funny! But I'm going to do it cause it just might work!!

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 13

How fun! Let us know how it works!
I wonder how much these add to the cake price ?? LOL!
Real burning whimsy fondant candles, Awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%