Help So Many Questions, So Little Time. My First Wedding Ck

Business By Chonya Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 10:51pm by Chonya

Chonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonya Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 7

First off she would like a 3 tier ( i think BC) some what simple olive green(?) with brown, maybe a branch like thing up the side.

#1 its for 100 ppl. Looking at the cake sizes 8,10,12 i think wasnt quite enough. also what about the top for her to keep? is that figured into the seving size or do i go bigger? no idea what im doing here

#2 pricing of course. bc, if there is fondant only a little maybe leaves or something. serving 100.and stacked

#3 do you alway do a groom cake and if so do you include that cake for the # of servings

#4 and what about the tasting or sample i guess how does that work. Remeber this is the first ever wedding cake for me.

#5 last but not least how to you transport it, and what do you take with you when you deliver.

So sorry for all the questions.
On the up side it is a cousin(in law) and I told her I would give her my prices if she liked my cakes ( which I will probably do as wedding gift anyway but havent told her that yet)

Help help. Thank you.

6 replies
chasebrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasebrad Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

Check out this other forum discussion....pretty much all the things you asked and more!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 7

-------------->>>>> YOU #1 its for 100 ppl. Looking at the cake sizes 8,10,12 i think wasnt quite enough. also what about the top for her to keep? is that figured into the seving size or do i go bigger? no idea what im doing here

Me: I would add the 6" just in case

------------------->>>>>>>>you#2 pricing of course. bc, if there is fondant only a little maybe leaves or something. serving 100.and stacked

ME: 4 tiers that size is a lot of work I just made a 3 tiered stacked cake covered in fondant and I spent about $50 in ingredients and materials, fondant alone was about $30 so you just have to figure out your cost and your time I say iced in bc and fondant decorations about $250 just a wild guesstimate

---------------->>>>>>>>you#3 do you alway do a groom cake and if so do you include that cake for the # of servings

ME: they don't always order the grooms' cake I would charge seperate for the groom's cake and include it in the amount of servings needed

------------------>>>>>>>>>#4 and what about the tasting or sample i guess how does that work. Remeber this is the first ever wedding cake for me.

ME:I made a cake for my daughter's former teacher and I asked her what flavors she enjoyed I made 3 little cakes for her and she picked what she wanted, in her case she ordered my wasc cake with fresh strawberries and cream on all 4 tiers! I did not charge for the tasting but I know some people do,

------------->>>>>#5 last but not least how to you transport it, and what do you take with you when you deliver.

ME: I stacked on site, just went over my head step by step and wrote down what I would need to stack

Ok I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge

Also I recommend sugarshack's dvds I learned so much about icing and stacking from them good luck and ask her to give you money for the ingredients you will be surprised at how much money you will spend

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 7

OKay, if it were me, I would do a 14", 10" and 6" round. All the servings will be in the lower two tiers. The top tier is for bride and groom to take home.
Grooms cake is optional/not required/not included.

If this is a gift, I would let her know that you would like to make her bridal cake in lieu of a wedding gift. (I have a friend make a wedding cake for her friend as a freebie, and later she heard the bride badmouthing her for not getting her a wedding gift. Make it known THIS is the gift!)

Also, if this is a gift, I don't feel you need to present her with samples! Give her a list of her flavor options.

If this is not a gift, call around your area and see what something like this would go for. (Don't include the grocery store in your search!) Prices really vary depending on region! Then, given this is your first wedding cake, I would charge about half of what the bakeries are charging. She is sorta your guinea pig, after all! And if you do a good job, you will have a valuble photo for your portfolio, and a lovely reference from your cousin!

As for transporting it, it depends on the set-up, and how far your're travelling. So do some research. Some of my cakes are fully set-up already, and some need to be fully assembled, and partially decorated on site.
What to bring? Make a checklist. Bring anything you'd need to make repairs if the unthinkable happens. My "bring" lists often include: All tiers of the cake itself, top tier box, extra icing bags, spatula, dowelling, snippers, scissors, fresh/silk flowers, food service gloves, baggie with wet and dry washcloths, the cake ornament, camera, order form, venue info, map, phone numbers, phone.

Hope this is helpful!

Harleyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harleyfan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 7

Hi!

Thank you all so much for posting your opinions on the OP's questions. I have often wondered the same things... just not at the point yet to do a wedding cake myself. Glad to have the info ahead of time. I know I can find answers elsewhere on the site, but sometimes it happens to pop up right in front of you!

Thanks again... from a newbie! icon_biggrin.gif

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 7

ButtercupMama - thanks so much for the checklist....things like that are so valuable to us newbies... icon_biggrin.gif

I'm doing my first (paid) wedding cake at the end of April and have already started thinking about what I need to take with me when I deliver it.

Thanks again,
Lindsey
aka Aggiechef

Chonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonya Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and the llink to the other discusions. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%