Is This Common?

Business By kellertur Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 4:34am by LaBellaFlor

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Recently I sat down with a couple who had me design a cake "just for them", including some portrait work, etc... LOTS of original design work and sugar sculpture, original drawings incorporated. I even signed the design.

Anway ~ I received a call from them a few days ago telling me they took MY design to another decorator who quoted them a lower price! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif Is this kind of thing customary? I think it's rude and kind of sneaky. -- unless the bride is lying. icon_confused.gif

I'm not talking about borrowing someone's idea/changing things, etc... inspiration, but this cake was custom designed with portraits, hand drawings, etc... LOTS of planning on my part.

I had no idea this business was so cut-throat. thumbsdown.gif (I'm not blaming the decorator, but if someone brought me *someone else's* drawing/sketch, I would say: "Let me make my own sketch based on what you'd like, I can't use someone else's orig. drawings". )

That's not right. Did they say why they were calling you back? Are they going with the new decorator or just trying to get you to lower your price? I would ask for your design sketch back. Do you know what decorator they are going with. Maybe make a polite call to them and just let them know you find it unprofessional that they are using your custom design. I wouldn't turn it into a huge battle, but I would let them (couple & decorator) know how you feel about it.

Next time collect a $200 non-refundable design fee if they want to take it with them. If they use you, you put it toward the cake, otherwise you keep it--yes, just for taking the design out of the shop.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #32 of 39

To be honest, I really had no idea they were going anywhere else with what they said. They said there were going home to do some numbers and would be back in touch to sign. I foolishly thought maybe they wanted the sketch for their scrapbook when they didn't return it. I kept some pretty weird things from my "courtship" with husband (rocks found on walks, etc...) icon_redface.gif

Before I make myself sound any denser, I'm never going to make this mistake again. I'm calling them tomorrow and explaining how I feel without causing a "whole big thing". I really don't want their business now...

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:11pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:

To be honest, I really had no idea they were going anywhere else with what they said. They said there were going home to do some numbers and would be back in touch to sign. I foolishly thought maybe they wanted the sketch for their scrapbook. I kept some pretty weird things from my "courtship" with husband (rocks found on walks, etc...) icon_redface.gif

Before I make myself sound any denser, I'm never going to make this mistake again. I'm calling them tomorrow and explaining how I feel without causing a "whole big thing". I really don't want their business now...

I think that's the best thing to do,let then know how you feel so they'll stop feeling smart,photocopy or not,i'll still ask for it back.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

Quote:

To be honest, I really had no idea they were going anywhere else with what they said. They said there were going home to do some numbers and would be back in touch to sign. I foolishly thought maybe they wanted the sketch for their scrapbook. I kept some pretty weird things from my "courtship" with husband (rocks found on walks, etc...) icon_redface.gif

I think that's the best thing to do,let then know how you feel so they'll stop feeling smart,photocopy or not,i'll still ask for it back.

I would call them and let them know I want my sketch back. Even if they photocopy it,that is not a point now, I would just want my original back. I would feel like you k2cakes, I wouldn't want their business now either. I would be to scare of how the rest of my time spent with them would go. Lesson learned just move on, just take heart that no one else could do your design like you would have done it!! thumbs_up.gif So sorry this happened, a good lesson for us all to remember.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #35 of 39
Quote:

Recently I sat down with a couple who had me design a cake "just for them", including some portrait work, etc... LOTS of original design work and sugar sculpture, original drawings incorporated. I even signed the design.

Anway ~ I received a call from them a few days ago telling me they took MY design to another decorator who quoted them a lower price! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif Is this kind of thing customary? I think it's rude and kind of sneaky. -- unless the bride is lying. icon_confused.gif

I'm not talking about borrowing someone's idea/changing things, etc... inspiration, but this cake was custom designed with portraits, hand drawings, etc... LOTS of planning on my part.

I had no idea this business was so cut-throat. thumbsdown.gif (I'm not blaming the decorator, but if someone brought me *someone else's* drawing/sketch, I would say: "Let me make my own sketch based on what you'd like, I can't use someone else's orig. drawings". )

I would send them an invoice for the design fee with a note that the fee would be waived if you were contracted as their cake provider. Send them a bill for $75.00 for one hour of design services. They may not know that they have the option of not paying it. As long as you don't have it in writing anywhere that you do FREE designs and consultations you have a valid legal arguement to charge them for your time.

I'm in the business for cash, not giggles, so I say push the issue. icon_wink.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #36 of 39

Snarky ~ (sorry, if that's rude, but I don't know your name)

That might work, because I only advertise free tasting/consultation. Seriously though, I really don't want their business at this point. I guess I'm never going to make much money at this because I refuse to work with people who are that inconsiderate and selfish. People who want something for nothing at someone else's expense. JMO.

Edited to fix typos...

kamilla79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamilla79 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #37 of 39
Quote:

Maybe it was their plan from the beginning together with the other decorator. Maybe the other decorator didn`t have the imagination or the skill to design a cake just for them, and he said; "Go find someone to design you a cake and I`ll DO the cake for less."
People can be that deceiving.
So sorry this happened to you.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:29am
post #38 of 39
Quote:

Snarky ~ (sorry, if that's rude, but I don't know your name)

That might work, because I only advertise free tasting/consultation. Seriously though, I really don't want their business at this point. I guess I'm never going to make much money at this because I refuse to work with people who are that inconsiderate and selfish. People who want something for nothing at someone else's expense. JMO.

Edited to fix typos...

Okay, then just send them an invoice for your time with a nice note wishing them well with their new cake baker etc...

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:34am
post #39 of 39

That so sucks k2cakes. You live & learn like you said. I do sketch & if I didn't know it before, I now know, DON"T GIVE UP SKETCH WITHOUT DEPOSIT. AT the least, you have at least helped the rest of us with your lesson. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%