Can You Recommend A Durable Album Solution?

Business By ButtercupMama Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm by ivgotahalo

ButtercupMama Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 10

Weird, but my cake photo albums basically get ripped to shreds in the lobby of my shop.
I need to leave them out on the table, rather than taking them out upon request, cuz customers are constantly browsing thru them for ideas, and this results in bigger, better sales!
I have several albums, categorized by occasion. The only problem is durability. They last about 6 months, and it's a major undertaking to re-do everything.
My best albums are two mini 7"x7" Creative Memories scrapbooks my sis did for me a few years ago. These are still intact! But I dread the thought of SCRAPBOOKING a couple thousand cake pictures.

Ideas???

9 replies
dixieluvscake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 10

cratve memorie now has the "digital" scrapbooking where you do it all on a computer and then they send it in and it is printed like one of the kodak photo books...i'm pretty sure that's how it works, a lady at my church who does creative mems was just talking about it the other day.

littlecake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 10

i was thinking of putting another puter screen and keyboard at the shop in the front on a table...and let them look online.

sweetcakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 10

how about a digital photo frame. It can scroll through the cakes at a slow pace, give each one a number is case they want to reference it. Somehow secure the frame so it dont get nicked!!

CakeForte Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:31am
post #5 of 10

I have mine in the scrapbook pages covered in plastic. Theyre not laid out all fancy or anything. I dont even have that many pics...maybe 50 or so. My website has only my BESTcakes.

With the internet...i feel it's pointless for them to come in and look at a ton of cake pictures. I mean I have them available, along with all of the back issues of martha stewart weddings...but no one ever bothers with those because they have already been searching for cakes prior to meeting with me.

ButtercupMama Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:40am
post #6 of 10

Both of these are cool ideas... I wonder how durable the CM book is? Parents don't mind so much when their very small kids are ripping thru my books with their frosting hands!
I've pondered the computer idea too. It sounds cool, but I wonder how that would work, and how to keep people from breaking it too? And then there's the sharing issue. That would be a one at a time process.

I tend to get the one customer who is totally oblivious that she's monopolizing the staff, while the other customers seethe impatiently.

Once I had two "ladies" who nearly got in a fist fight over who was next.
My customers don't always behave icon_lol.gif It's funny that I even have to consider these things... I guess I should expect them to rip the albums apart icon_rolleyes.gif

BabyChicks Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:49am
post #7 of 10

Go to blurb.com and have your photos published in a hard bound book prices start at $12.95 for a small book 0-40 pages.

ButtercupMama Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 10

I don't know what the dealio is; I seem to have some sort of delay... when I wrote that last reply, there were only two replies to me... so sorry if the other two appeared to get ignored by my previous post icon_confused.gif

Anyhoo! Yeah, I love the digital photo frame idea too; might be nice just to have one or two for trade shows, and for a cute random display in the lobby.
and I love the idea of getting the bound book... and that's a great price! But I couldn't add to it; I would have to make more books. I will check out that site!! However, I may have to scrapbook it, if I want to keep it as a work in progress.
I have a couple hundred pics on my website's gallery, but I take a pic of almost everything that leaves the shop... I couldn't imagine trying to add to the website that often. It's easier for us to have lots more photos in the shop. And the customers do see the 200 online, and then they say in a whiney voice, "Well, do you have any mooooore in your shop?" As if to say it just wasn't a big enough selection online. icon_rolleyes.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #9 of 10

You know I was thinking that the digital frame was a great idea, sort of a slide presentation. But then I got to thinking, those can be REALLY expensive. Is that a good idea for you if you have kids that mess with your albums unregulated by their parents? How would they treat your digital frame?Just a thought.

ivgotahalo Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 10

Shutterfly and snapfish both do the digital books. They turn out really nice! and they are pretty cheap. when you sign up for them then send coupons all the time for free shipping etc...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%