Homemade Fondant

Decorating By kinicto Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 3:41am by CookiezNCupcakez

kinicto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kinicto Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 5

I tried making my first batch of homemade fondant last week. I stored it tightly wrapped until I needed it. When I went to use it, I kneaded it for a few mintues and then tried rolling it out. When I was rolling it out, small "chips" of fondant kept coming off on my roller. I put cornstarch on the roller and it didn't pick up as many "chips".

When I went to put the fondant on the cake, it was so brittle that it broke in several places when I was trying to stretch it on the cake.

My question -- how long should I have kneaded the fondant before storing? Could this have been my problem?

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 5

Which recipe did you use? When you say you went to use after storing....how long was that? Sounds like you had too much PS and not enough shortening. And you shouldn't have to stretch it anywhere, drape it loosely, and tuck and smooth into place.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 5

It does sound like you have too much PS and not enough shortening. It shouldn't tear or "break" apart.

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #4 of 5

I agree try less PS you can always add more but you cant take away.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #5 of 5

Sounds like too much ps...Just add the ps until it looks/feels right, little by little. I have never added crisco to the mix although I think I will try it next time...as well, I hear some ppl grease the MMF bowl also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%