Easier To Start W/ Choc. Bc To Make Black Frosting?

Decorating By macy74 Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 2:07am by Skirt

macy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macy74 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 9

I'm a newbie to cakes..would it be easier to make choc. bc first & then try to tint black or just start out w/ regular bc?

Thanks for any or all help!!

Macy

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 9

if you start with it dark already, then you need less black colouring. and as black colouring can taste funny, thats a good thing!
xx

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 9

Yes start with cocolate bc then add black.

If you start with white you will need what seems like twenty times more black to get it where you want it.

Starting with chocolate really helps with it staining you, your clients teeth, tongue, and lips. It also keeps the potential down for black or bluish/purple pee and poop (depending on how much black you used). The more black coloring the better chance of you being called asking if you were the one responsible for purple poopie.

Personally I try to avoid those calls, the customers don't like me laughing at that question. thumbs_up.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 9

Def start with choc! I'm no expert, but have been there, done that! icon_smile.gif
Depending on your design, sometimes I use black sanding sugar or black jimmies to tie in the black into the design (if it's not a detail you are doing) and then avoid the whole "black icing" thing alltogether! Good luck!

bsawyer78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsawyer78 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #5 of 9

OMG! Never thought to use Choc BC for Black icing! HA HA HA...Learn new things everyday!

What about fondant...does the same apply?

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:52am
post #6 of 9

yes, you can also start with brown for fondant. If you don't mind your icing/fondant tasting chocolate you can use cocoa or you can start with brown coloring. You can also start by mixing together any colors of icing/fondant you have left over all together. Depending on the colors you start with you will come out with a dark purplish, brownish or grayish color then you can start adding black. Also, Americolor colors are stronger than Wilton's paste colors and you won't have to add as much to achieve the color you want. (black and red have a bad after taste) Even Wilton's no taste red has a bad taste if you have to use alot of it, in my opinion.

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 9

I also use cocoa or brown paste coloring to dull colors down. If I am trying to get red or hunter green and I am getting bright pink or bright green I add a little brown alternately with the color I am using until I get the color I want.

bsawyer78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsawyer78 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:01am
post #8 of 9

Yep I already use Americolor...haven't used Wilton in awhile! Thanks for the tips! I struggle with the black fondant...and red as a matter of fact! Having to use so much of the color messes with the texture of the fondant, so I can't wait to use your advice on my next black or red adventure!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsawyer78

What about fondant...does the same apply?

Save yourself the headache (and sore hands from kneading color) and buy black fondant.. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%