post #1 of 7

Hi, I'm planning to make this cream cheese frosting for a carrot cake:

1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. salted butter (1 stick)
2 8oz. packages cream cheese, softened
2 lbs. (8 cups) powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Does it need to be refrigerated, or room temperature is enough?

Thanks in advance.

6 replies
jouj Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone please?

tonedna Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 7

I never made this one.. Have you already made it? How soft it is? Sounds like this one is one of those non crusting creamcheese recipes that do need refrigeration.

mariela_ms Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 7

I used a similar recipe and I left it over night, actually 2 nights and it tasted wonderful... It had a nice crust too!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2047-160-Crusting-Cream-Cheese-Icing.html

stemps Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 7

If you're going to frost your cake immediately, then room temp, straight out of the mixer bowl is fine (and the easiest to spread!). once mine are decorated, I put them in the fridge. The thought of cream cheese sitting out for extended periods of time makes me nervous!! HTH

abra526 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7

I recently used this same recipe, and it was delicious! One thing I found was to continue mixing it for about 5 minutes after all the sugar is incorporated, and then it will be super smooth. Good luck!

jouj Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just mixed mine, it's so soft and delicious, first time I try it. I put it in the fridge, and will use it tomorrow for carrot cupcakes. How many days does it keep?

tonedna: the recipe says it's a crusting icing, I'll have to try and see.

mariela_ms: I got this recipe from CC too, it similar to yours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%