Please Help-Transporting Cake Question

Decorating By mona87 Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm by mona87

mona87 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 9

hi everyone. so i agreed to do the wedding cake for my friends wedding. however, the wedding is 7.5 hours away (by car) ive been trying to think of the nest way to do this, but would love advice from you guys icon_smile.gif i've only transported one wedding cake in my life and that was definately a learning experience. also, this wedding is in june, so another thing to worry about.

opt 1. go down there a few days early and see if i can use someones kitchen (sadly, i dont know the brides family and they are still 1 hour from the reception site)

opt 2. make the cakes up here and drive them down there (would have to rent a car cause sedans like camrys weren't made for cake delivering)...ac full blast, store at reception site unassembled and finish it there.

was considering a dummy cake, but they want atleast 2 tiers real, so im just going to do all four real instead.

i don't know, this whole thing is very confusing. its just something i really want to do for a friend but am still having a hard time getting the logistics together

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif thanks!!

8 replies
peg818 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 9

Well, i would make at home if possible. Also, if you are able, travel at night with the cakes when its cooler, so there will be less chance of melting. I would cover cakes in fondant and pack in coolers with ice packs then finish when you get to the hotel you are staying at.

If you travel at night and pack the cakes on ice you shouldn't need to rent a car. A camry should have a large enough trunk to transport the cake in, if you can leave the back seat down so that the AC can reach the cake a bit.

mona87 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 9

thanks for your response! that's a good idea. it is a very big trunk so I guess it is doable if I pack everything properly. and i suppose there will be less traffic at night.

sweetpea1972 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 9

That's so funny. I just posted the same question last week (it's my SIL and 10 hrs.) Most of the responses I got (thank you to everyone) was to box each tier separately and then put it together at the site. I'm going to cover mine with fondant because I feel like they will be a bit sturdier.

mona87 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 9

thanks! i suppose that seems like the best bet. i guess right now my major concerns are hoping i don't get too lost. i will def check out your post too. are you using a cooler too?

sweetpea1972 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

are you using a cooler too?

I wasn't planning on it. I have a minivan and I'm hoping that the air circulates throughout the car fairly well (as opposed to being in a trunk.) You better believe I'm taking a HUGE fixit kit icon_biggrin.gif

mona87 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 9

that makes sense. in that case it should be fine icon_smile.gif sadly, all i have is a trunk, unless i figure out something with the back seats hmm

haha same here! better to be safe than sorry and just bring everything icon_biggrin.gif

thanks for your help! im starting to feel a little less nervous about this

sweetpea1972 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 9

Good luck to you icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

We just need to think confidently!!

mona87 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 9

that's right! icon_biggrin.gif

i love theses icons btw, hehe thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%