Freezing Cake - Tips Needed

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm by jardot22

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 9

Hi! I have not really tried freezing cakes before, but would like to try it as a timesaver for a couple cakes I have due this coming Sunday. Do any of you that do freeze cakes let them thaw completely before filling and crumbcoating / icing, or do you do this while still frozen? Also do you have any tips for me regarding the thawing process? I am wanting to put a layer of buttercream and then fondant on these cakes. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 9

Hi there, loads of memebers freeze cakes. Some wrap them in saran wrap while the cakes are hot. But I let the cakes cool completely and then wrap them in saran wrap, then in foil and then put them in a freezer bags.

When I want to thaw them, I take them out two days ahead. For an example, for a saturday cake, take them out on thursday. Put it in the fridge with all the wrapping. And before I put the filling in, I take them out of the fridge and let them come to room temperature. But some take the wrappings off and leave it on the counter to come to room temperature.

Once it is at room temperature, continue as usual! icon_smile.gif

But just want to say that, all come down to your personal preference at the end! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 9

Because I work full-time, I bake and freeze the weekend before. Once the cake layers are cool, I wrap in plastic wrap and then in foil. Then I freeze. For a Saturday cake, I like to level, fill, and crumbcoat on Thursday nights so my Mom takes the cakes out of the freezer for me on Thursday morning and they sit wrapped on the counter until I get home and get ready for them.

Hope this helps.

sarand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarand Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 9

Hi All

This is very interesting as I have always wanted to freeze my cakes also but have been a little nervouse. would this be the same for fruit cakes and sponge cakes?

Ive just made a sponge so think i will give it ago lol

Sarah xx

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 9

Hi Sarah, I have done it with sponge, choc sponge and you can do carrot as well. But haven't tried the fruit cake yet! icon_smile.gif

sarand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarand Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 9

im back in work tomorrow but i will make a fruit cake to give it a try... i think you must be able too as ive heard some people use some of their wedding cake on their kids christening cake... Ugh would be green if they didnt freeze it surely hahaha

x

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 9

I always freeze -- much like the pp's I: bake, cool completely, wrap in Saran, foil, and place in freezer bags. I take the cakes out of the freezer on Thursday for a Saturday cake and let them thaw on the counter (wrapped). When they are almost completely thawed but still slightly firm, I level and fill and then let them settle for a while (loosely covered on the counter). I then crumbcoat and ice and go on my merry way. Freezing (to me) makes the whole process easier and even locks in some of the moisture of the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 9

It is perfectly fine to freeze your cake. I do it all the time. Especially cupcakes. I let it cool completely before I wrap them in saran wrap and put in a freezer ziploc bag. Make sure they are completely thawed first before you ice and fill. They could sweat from thawing and the icing will more than likey slide off. I just don't take the chance of having to ice my cakes twice. I just don't have the time for that, with work and 2 young kids. I am always baking ahead. icon_biggrin.gif Hope this helps!

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much for the great info! I'm going to try it - I work full time so this will be a great time saver for me in the future. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%