Pay For Cake Decorators?

Decorating By bakinglover Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 2:40am by classiccake

bakinglover Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 9

I'm not sure if this is the best board to post this on, but there is an add in my local paper for a cake decorator. The company is left confidential and there is no mention of pay. I know that it will vary depending on experience. I have some experience. I worked in a bakery as a cake decorator in high school and for a short period after college. I know it will vary by area, but do you have any ideas as to how much this job might pay? Thank you so much.

8 replies
katwomen1up Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 9

Don't have any idea but you won't know unless you apply. As you said it will depend on experience.and on what they're looking for.

Kat

bakinglover Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 9

I was just trying to get an idea before I applied for it. They said no experience required. I'll just have to apply and see what they say. thanks.

katwomen1up Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 9

Actually that's great, you can learn all kinds of new things. Not sure how long you've been out of the business but anyone that's willing to teach you their tricks of the trade..I'd go for it. Good luck!

Kat

bakinglover Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwomen1up

Actually that's great, you can learn all kinds of new things. Not sure how long you've been out of the business but anyone that's willing to teach you their tricks of the trade..I'd go for it. Good luck!

Kat

this was also part of my thought process. Thanks.

tonedna Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 9

This is going to depend on a lot of things. Is it a bakery or a custom cake place?...The other thing is obvious they are looking for someone to start on basic things cause they are not asking for someone that has a high skills.
Another factor is your experience and quality of work...
Edna icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 9

No experience required usually means they want to pay peanuts and teach someone their way of doing it. You more than likely will be basing (icing) cakes only, or they might utilize more of your talents if they see you already has skills icon_smile.gif

It is too broad of a spectrum to say how much they will pay, it could be as low as min wage and as high as $20+. They will let you know what they can do.

One bakery I worked in use to pay us (this was back in the early 90's) $9.50 hr then $1 for each cake we did that week, so If you popped out 100 cakes that week you got an extra $100 in your paycheck, and yes with this bakery that was normal, there were 3 decorators and we could easily each do 100 cakes a week.

jensenscakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #8 of 9

Here in Utah the average is $8 hr. (no experience) to $15 hr. lots of experience.

classiccake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:40am
post #9 of 9

I think this area the pay is from $9.oo with basic skills to $15 - $16.00 for very experienced talent. I am in the midwest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%