How Do I Make A Graduation Cap?

Decorating By heartofoklahoma Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm by suz3

heartofoklahoma Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 10

I was wondering if anyone could help me with ideas to make my son a graduation cap cake. I am new at this. I would like ideas on buttercream and MMF. I have never worked with MMF but it sounds like something that would be fun to do. I dont know how to make the flat top or the bottom of the cap. Thank you to all who help me. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
suz3 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 10

I am getting ready to make one for my grandson also. I'll tell you how I'm going to do it. I will mix fondant and gumpaste or tylose to make it firm. Then I will cut the band and form a circle with it (I think I want it about 1 1/2 inch wide and about a 3 inch circle). I am cutting a 4x4 square from cardstock for the top. I am covering it with the fondant. I will then put the two together with gumpaste glue. I will be happy to answer any other questions you have about it. Where in OK are you? I am in Tulsa.

heartofoklahoma Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you so much suz3 for answering so quickly. I understand what you are going to do and it sounds great! I have never worked with gumpaste though, I am guessing that is it harder than fondant. I am in Lexington which is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Tulsa. Thank again!

renee2007 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 10

I have made 2 grad. caps. I used half of the wilton ball pan for the bottom of the cap, and then for the top part I just cut a square piece of cardboard and wrapped it in gumpaste and let dry for a few days. hth good luck

pastryjen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 10

Another option for you...

Depending on the size you are looking for, I made one out of chocolate.

I actually bought a soap mold with a circle shaped cavity, washed it. Put some candy melts in there. For the top, I found a square container to use as a mold and then glued them together with melted chocolate.

I used a little MMF for the tassle.

CristyInMiami Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee2007

I have made 2 grad. caps. I used half of the wilton ball pan for the bottom of the cap, and then for the top part I just cut a square piece of cardboard and wrapped it in gumpaste and let dry for a few days. hth good luck

This is exactly what I did! thumbs_up.gif

pastryjen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 10

Sorry, I misread OP - didn't realize you were actually looking to make the shape out of cake.

heartofoklahoma Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all so much! Wonderful ideas from all of you. I am getting even more excited to make my sons cake. The wilton cake pan idea might be easier for me to do since its my first one and I have never tried fondant. Thank you SO MUCH EVERYONE!

heartofoklahoma Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 10

Hey no problelm pastryjen.........I still appreciate you replying to my question. Great idea for chocolate! icon_smile.gif

suz3 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 10

I didn't read your entire post either. My bad!!!! I have ADHD and sometimes skip over things. I thought you were making a cap for the decoration. OOPS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%