Business Cards

Business By theresa8909 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm by Carlymoon

theresa8909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresa8909 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 17

so just wondering who all does business cards,and where you get them done at? Does it help with your Business or is it an easyier way to get cought baking out of your home? thanks

16 replies
cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 17

I get my business cards printed at a stationary shop, but if you are operating illegally then you definitely shouldn't be handing out business cards. Yes it is a way to get caught doing something illegal. The more information you have out about yourself that you are running a business the easier it will be for you to get caught.

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 17

I created my own business cards. Created them in Word, printed them out on business card stock.

Have many colors and even my saying on the back.

Works for me! icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 17

I got mine from VistaPrint.com. They are great to have once you become legal, but I wouldn't do any form of advertising or passing out info until then.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 17

I ordered mine from Paper Direct.com they have like tons of templetes they can print for you or you can order and do your own printing on your PC. Very cheap. BUT.. If I wans't legal I sure wouldn't be putting cards out there you could be asking for trouble. Best of luck in finding a good source for your cards.

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 17

I got mine from staples.com and they usually have a coupon to double your order for free under specials on the home page .

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 17

Don't advertise in any way if you're worried about being "caught" baking out of your home.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 17

Agree with all of the legal/illegal advice above.

Once you DO get to the point where you can advertise, avoid black-n-white cards. you want something that will POP and stand out. Imagine a bride going home after attending a bridal show. She dumps her bag of goodies on the table and starts sorting thru it. What is it about your card or your literature that is going to catch her eye and make her pick up your card.

Use both sides. I have a map to my shop on the back side. You're paying for the whole card ... use it.

Get a good quality card stock. Nothing turns me off more than a cheap-a$$ business card that you and flex just too easy. I refer ALL of these cardholders to my biz card guy so they can get a good quality card .... and usually cheaper than what they're paying for a cheap one that give a lousy first impression. I have color, digital cards, printed on both sides for WAY cheaper than I was getting black-n-whites at Kinkos.

If you HAVE to make your own, for goodness sakes use business card stock that is perforated or something. DON'T cut your cards out with scissors. I can't think of anything that looks more tacky or less professional. You want a bride to trust you with the intricate details of her wedding cake and you hand her a card that says "here ... I just chopped this out this morning and I really dont' care what the final product looks like."

Always hand them two cards .... one to keep and one to pass one.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 17

I have mine printed at a local shop but I also buy the peel-n-stick magnets from Office Depot and make fridge magnets out of them. I can't tell you how many people love them. I give them a regular card and a magnet when they pick up their order and I give them after a tasting to any and all people with different fridges!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

I have mine printed at a local shop but I also buy the peel-n-stick magnets from Office Depot and make fridge magnets out of them. I can't tell you how many people love them. I give them a regular card and a magnet when they pick up their order and I give them after a tasting to any and all people with different fridges!!

omg yes these are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

I do this too! I got a really good price for some of the magnets on ebay and people love them.

theresa8909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresa8909 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:23am
post #12 of 17

Thanks for all the awesome reply's I won't be doing any yet due to the fact I dont want to get caught...Thanks

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:03pm
post #13 of 17

I get my cards printed at iPrint.com and the cheapest u get is 100 cards for $3.95.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:05pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa8909

Thanks for all the awesome reply's I won't be doing any yet due to the fact I dont want to get caught...Thanks

You don't want to pass them out yet, but it is ok to order them now to have later. I did that so that when I was ready to go, I could hand them out right away. Good luck!

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #15 of 17

I just got mine last week from Vista Print, and I love them! I was getting these emails from them, with specials, and I got a deal of 500 for like $9.00! They have so many options, and colors, etc. I am one of those, just waiting on a servesave certificate in the mail so I can get H.D. back out here to inspect my kitchen. Grrrrrr........I hate waiting!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:09pm
post #16 of 17

Once you have a design that you are sure of and in love with, I highly recommend gotprint.com. I recently ordered 5000 cards, full bleed, digital color on front & back for about $39 or something insane like that. I also ordered my brochures through them, pre-folded, and it is so nice to not have to sit and fold all of those little boogers each time I have a bridal show! icon_smile.gif

(In the meantime, before I was legal I had a 'calling card' that just had my personal contact information on it, no mention that I made cakes. They actually were very handy for other non-cake acquaintances too.)

Carlymoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlymoon Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #17 of 17

Vista Print for sure. You can get full color/premade templates and it's really inexpensive. They do other biz products too and there are always great discounts in their emails.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%