What Kind Of Shoes Do You Wear While Baking And Decorating?

Decorating By karenm0712 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm by jules06

karenm0712 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 45

After two consecutive weekends in the kitchen baking and decorating I have made myself a promise to find some comfortable shoes to wear while baking and decorating from now on! I can't tell you how bad I ache all over today - from the heals of my feet all the way up to the bottom of my neck!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular shoe or slip on to wear while in the kitchen baking and decorating?

44 replies
niccicola Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 45

i'm barefoot 99% of the time. socks on occasion.

are you gellin'?

LOL get some Dr Scholls (sp?)

karenm0712 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 45

I was thinking of getting some crocks - I see people on the Food Network wearing them all the time. icon_smile.gif

I can't stand to wear shoes - i love to be barefoot - but after these past two weekends I have got to find something!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 45

99% of the time I am barefoot when at home. Unless I'm baking and decorating. Then I wear some slip on tennies. Cooking/baking barefoot grosses me out

Melonie1005 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 45

I have a pair of Crocs and I love them. They are so comfortable. I hate how big they look, but they are great around the house. I would never have paid the 45.00 dollars for them, so my husband bought them for me. icon_twisted.gif

solascakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 45

I wear flip flops,like the very comfortable ones.

Rylan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 45

I only bake at home as a hobby and I usually wear those bunny looking slippers. You know, those furry ones. I've seen people wear crocks at the challenges, I think they are nice... but not my taste.

pastryjen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 45

I wear shoes all the time in my home.

They are slip on sandals for $14.96 CAD at Wal-Mart. They've got arch support and are so comfy.

lainalee Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

I was thinking of getting some crocks - I see people on the Food Network wearing them all the time. icon_smile.gif

I can't stand to wear shoes - i love to be barefoot - but after these past two weekends I have got to find something!

One word. CROCKS. I bake in my basement, so cement floors. Have a bad back, once I found these I am now able to stand like 10-12 hours and no back, feet, or leg aches. Worth every penny. thumbs_up.gif

cakelady15 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 45

I wear non skid shoes like what they require waitresses to wear. You used to be able to buy them almost anywhere, but I get them from a shoe store that sells work shoes. They are black and look like tennis shoes, but they have a rubber non skid sole. I only wear them in the kitchen, they never go outside. icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 45

"99% of the time I am barefoot when at home. Unless I'm baking and decorating. Then I wear some slip on tennies. Cooking/baking barefoot grosses me out"

Unless you are stirring something with your feet, why would it matter ? icon_lol.gif Sorry, couldn't resist.....

suz3 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 45

Crocs. Not pretty but you can wash them off after baking (I'm messy). They are comfy too!

pastryjen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

"99% of the time I am barefoot when at home. Unless I'm baking and decorating. Then I wear some slip on tennies. Cooking/baking barefoot grosses me out"

Unless you are stirring something with your feet, why would it matter ? icon_lol.gif Sorry, couldn't resist.....

That's gross! icon_lol.gif Thanks for the laugh!

tirechic Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 45

yeah, need to make some kind of happy whisel while you work song for Crocs, are we sure a woman did not invent them?

Sweetcakes23 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #15 of 45

I definately learned the hard way (in culinary school, on cement floors) to wear "good" support shoes (I choose walking tennis shoes) with support knee highs (purchased at uniform store) that prevents buldging blood vessels. THEN I purchased one of those WONDERFUL commercial rubber mats from Cash & Carry to stand on. It makes all the difference in the world as too how tired my legs and back get after hours of working in the kitchen on tile floors. thumbs_up.gif [/list]

jguilbeau Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 45

I wear New Balance Cross-Training tennis shoes. I also have a stool so I am not on my feet the entire time.

karenm0712 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 45

Thanks for all of the responses! I am on a mission today and you all have helped so much! icon_smile.gif

Lady_Phoenix Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainalee

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

One word. CROCKS. I bake in my basement, so cement floors. Have a bad back, once I found these I am now able to stand like 10-12 hours and no back, feet, or leg aches. Worth every penny. thumbs_up.gif

Ohhh Lainalee I am now going to HAVE to get some crocs! I had my spine fused back in 2000 and my back etc was KILLING me despite pain meds after this weekend! Thanks for the suggestion! icon_biggrin.gif

amysue99 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 45

CROCS!!!!! They are the most awesome comfy shoes in the world. I own 5 pairs. If I don't wear them, my back starts to hurt from standing on a hard kitchen floor.

aggiechef Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #20 of 45

I used to wear Doc Martens in culinary school and they were wonderful....expensive, I know, but when you're in a bakery from 7-2, then in school from 3-10 they're worth every penny....I now wear crocs when I'm at home and love them too...

Crissy_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:04pm
post #21 of 45

Crocs are a must! I've tried everything and finally I broke down and bought a pair of Croc flip-flops...best investiment ever.
Another aide, an anti-fatigue mat. My sister got me one for my birthday and after 4-5hr decorating session my knees and back are no longer hurting!

Edited to add "hr".

marmalade1687 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #22 of 45

CROCS!! I've actually talked my husband into wearing them around the house now too - they are wonderful for your feet, legs and back if you have hardwood and ceramic tile.

Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #23 of 45

Crocs for me

JulyMama Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #24 of 45

oooohhh, I have a pair of crocs that I bought for the hospital when i had my DS, I will have to try them in the kitchen! My feet, knees and back are always aching after baking for a long time!

queenie1958 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #25 of 45

I wear my slippers since my pug sits right at my feet and I don't want to step on him too hard when I trip over him.
He sits at my feet thinking please , please drop some icing.
He goes nuts for icing, just like my grandkids.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

icon_lol.gificon_lol.giftapedshut.gif ewww

SugarFrosted Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #27 of 45

CROCS! I wear Crocs almost all the time...and I agree 150% with everything previous posters have said! They are amazing and comfortable and washable and are available in a bunch of colors and styles. They are NOT all ugly. But I don't care about that at all. I own 10 pairs !!!

http://www.crocs.com/

And look at this! A Birthday Cake jibbitz and other cooking/food stuff to go in the holes of Crocs!

http://shop.crocs.com/jibbitz.aspx?jcatid=46

Gotta get me some of those!

KlyKat Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #28 of 45

SugarFrosted---Thanks for posting http://shop.crocs.com/jibbitz.aspx?jcatid=46 What a wonderful website. I had no idea they have SO many different styles of Crocs now. And love the little jibbitzs. So cute...

I have one of the original designs of Crocs and love them, but after looking around I have to get some new ones. Thanks!!!

lizamlin Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #29 of 45

Crocs here and cushioned floor mats, doubled up - I have a very bad back and the mats help *tremendously*

KKristy Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #30 of 45

Crocks actually have some very stylish ( and comfy) shoes now...they are even carrying a crocks work shoe called Saffron(has treads on the bottom- slip resistant to soap,oil ,water..etc) kinda pricey at 60 bucks.
I love a newer style too called Olvia...very cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%