Glass Plate Making ..anyone Ever Do?

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 2:38am by moreCakePlz

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 3

Hubby and I would like to get into making glass plates,jewelry etc by laying pieces of glass in a mold and melting it in a kiln.We saw a cousin this weekend who is doing this and the glasswork is Fabulous.

Has anyone ever done this hobby/craft? and what do we need to know about getting started.I already have the kiln as my Mom and me used to be very active doing Ceramics for many years.Where do I buy the molds? Where can I buy the glass pieces ?

Thanks in Advance thumbs_up.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

2 replies
Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 3

there should plenty of books out there. It is called slumping and fusing. I haven't done this for years. I did it in college. If I remember correctly, you can slump into a mold made of graphite (best), plaster (there are different grades of mold plaster) or bisqued clay. The kiln must reach a high enough temp for the glass to slump. Then you slowly cool it. All the glass must be of the same type. You can't mix glass types or the finished pieces will crack, if not immediately, they will crack eventually. Graphite --you'd have to cut on a lathe or similar. You maybe be able to buy it preformed. If the kiln is very old and never had its heating elements replaced, it may not get hot enough.

Check this website www.worldcat.org and have your library interlibrary loan some books on the subject for you.

http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_all&q=slumping+glass

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 3

It is called glass fusing and just be warned it gets very expensive $$$$.

A great site for instruction/information is www.WarmGlass.com

You can buy retail supplies at:
AlpineGlass.com
Warner-Criv.com
DelphiGlass.com

If you really get into it you can buy wholesale at:
EdHoy.com

For classes, my two favorite schools are:
The Corning Museum of Glass www.cmog.org/
Bullseye Glass Company www.bullseyeglass.com/

PM me if you have any questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%