Crumbcoating A Cake

Decorating By cybil6 Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm by kakeladi

cybil6 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 4

I have always made my cakes the day before and frozen them, taking them out right before I frost them. I have never coated them with a "glaze-type icing" but I notice on here that almost everyone does. I have a four tier wedding cake coming up May 2nd as well as two grooms cakes the same day. Does anyone have this recipe for the crumbcoating? I'd like to try it.

3 replies
hilly Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 4

A crumb coat is just a base layer of icing to help the crumbs stick, to help to hide any little imperfections, etc. I always just use the buttercream that I'm icing the cake with, it crusts and then you can add the next 'coat'.

PinkZiab Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 4

Not sure what "glaze-type icing" you're talking about. When I do a crumbcoat, it's the same buttercream that the finishing coat will be.

kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 4

For the most part one can crumb coat a cake w/regular buttercream; piping gel or any jam (heated & strained).
It is simply applying a very thin coat of your choice of the above.

You can make a glaze-like coating by heating b'cream in the microwave for just a few seconds to melt it. Don't get it hot - just melt it, then pour over cake and spread as quickly but completely as you can. I usually melt about 1/4 cup of icing for an 8x4"round. Once it cools it is unusable. It cannot be re-warmed nor used for anything so don't over do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%