Crumbcoating A Cake

Decorating By cybil6 Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm by kakeladi

cybil6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybil6 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 4

I have always made my cakes the day before and frozen them, taking them out right before I frost them. I have never coated them with a "glaze-type icing" but I notice on here that almost everyone does. I have a four tier wedding cake coming up May 2nd as well as two grooms cakes the same day. Does anyone have this recipe for the crumbcoating? I'd like to try it.

3 replies
hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 4

A crumb coat is just a base layer of icing to help the crumbs stick, to help to hide any little imperfections, etc. I always just use the buttercream that I'm icing the cake with, it crusts and then you can add the next 'coat'.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 4

Not sure what "glaze-type icing" you're talking about. When I do a crumbcoat, it's the same buttercream that the finishing coat will be.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 4

For the most part one can crumb coat a cake w/regular buttercream; piping gel or any jam (heated & strained).
It is simply applying a very thin coat of your choice of the above.

You can make a glaze-like coating by heating b'cream in the microwave for just a few seconds to melt it. Don't get it hot - just melt it, then pour over cake and spread as quickly but completely as you can. I usually melt about 1/4 cup of icing for an 8x4"round. Once it cools it is unusable. It cannot be re-warmed nor used for anything so don't over do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%